K
Posted By
KR
Jul 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does PS Elements have the ability to create masks? I have encountered a problem where I need to create masks.

If this feature IS available on Elements, can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Unfortunately we are not able to afford the standard Photoshop. So, either I must do the mask feature myself (if it is available) or pay the printer to do this for me.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jul 8, 2004
Go to www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm for Jay Arraich’s tutorial on creating layer masks in Elements(scroll about 2/3 down). Also Elements’ Selection Brush will allow you to mask a section of a layer. Jay has lots of excellent Elements tutorials.
Anne
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jul 8, 2004
KR, Forgot to mention that Richard Lynch’s book "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2" comes with a CD that allows you to use many Photoshop features like masks, curves, color balance, duotones, clipping paths to name just a few. If you anticipate having a need for these and can’t justify the expense of Photoshop CS, this might be the way for you to go.

Anne again
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 8, 2004
wrote
…Richard Lynch’s book "The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2" …

KR,

Anne’s mention of Richard’s fine book reminded me that he has some of his tools available for FREE download – and the Layer Mask ability is included.

http://www.hiddenelements.com/freetools.html At the bottom of the page is the link to download.

There are other sources for free Elements add-ins which include Layer Mask – Shipley and Ling each are fine tools – but I ended up keeping only Richard’s, and additionally purchased the book to which Anne refers.

HTH,

Byron
AT
Anne_Twitchell
Jul 8, 2004
KR, I must have forgotten to actually send my first message to you. I referred you to www.arraich.com/elements/psE_intro.htm. This will get you to Jay Arraich’s Elements tutorials. Scroll about 2/3 down and you will come to his tutorial on how to create a mask in Elements. Jay’s tutorials in general are excellent. I also referred you to Elements’ Selection Brush which allows you to mask a section of an image to make a selection.
Bryon is right. I had forgotten that the Lynch’s Layer Mask is among his free tools so there is no need to buy his book just for that one tool.
Anne
K
KR
Jul 9, 2004
Everyone, thank you so much for taking the time to help me! I appreciate it very much! Sorry to bother you with MORe questions and a lengthy post, but here is my long post:

"I had forgotten that the Lynch’s Layer Mask is among his free tools so there is no need to buy his book just for that one tool."

Hmm, could not find anything that was "free". Just the part that costs money.

Also, thank you so much for the links to everything!

At the wonderful tutorial website, (where the "alpha channels" tutorial is recommended before the "layer masks" tutorial)
<http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_mmask1.htm>
he essentially fills in the area around the flower with a black paintbrush.

The thing/object/image I am trying to paint black stuff around is TEXT.

Would it be easier for me to create an "alpha channel" where I use the Magic Wand tool, select the parts around the text and simply delete those parts, then make those parts black and delete the text? (Or something like that.)
Black and white photo
Red text

Need color separations for it to go to print.
So, trying to somehow create TWO images to place in InDesign. (Don’t ask why the small bit of red text was not done in InDesign. Long story.)

So, I need TWO images:

-one of the black & white photo MINUS the red text (the text will still be visible, but will be white)

-one of JUST the red text

PROBLEM:

Somehow have to create the text layer/image as JUST the text, no white junk in the background, essentially a transparent background

OR…make the text in the Black & White photo a HOLE or something

So, will this layer tool that I can supposedly download do this type of thing? I am correct in guessing this is one of those things that Elements does NOT come with but standard Photoshop DOES? (Just wondering because I may need to get the program for home soon.)

Many of these problems with the printer seem to be that the printer is a Mac/Quark type of place which does not work to well with the whole PC/InDesign system I have here at work.

I am using Adobe Elements (and also InDesign) on an XP machine.
BG
Byron Gale
Jul 9, 2004
wrote
Hmm, could not find anything that was "free". Just the part that costs
money.

KR,

Sorry about that… when I said: "At the bottom of the page is the link to download." I was incorrect.

I SHOULD have said: In the MIDDLE of the page is the link to download.

Since you are using a PC, you would click the "PC Installer" link to download the HPA3pc.zip file.

My apologies.

Byron
K
KR
Jul 9, 2004
Thank you! I think I finally downloaded whatever it was (lots of "unzipping", not sure what that means, but hope that is what it is supposed to do!)

Should I now restart the computer? I think I will.

Then, where do I look for this hidden tool? (I feel like I am on a scavenger hunt! Sorry, it’s Friday.)
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jul 9, 2004
On your menu, Window>Welcome. Should appear on your Welcome window if the installation has been done.
K
KR
Jul 9, 2004
"Should appear on your Welcome window if the installation has been done."

I must not have done the installation all the way! Hmm, wonder what I did wrong. Also, I have decided to redo this whole text thing in InDesign. (I posted something there too.)

However, I am still very curious about the masks and I appreciate all of your advice! Thank you for being so helpful!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections