Styles in my Presets/Styles folder will not show up in CS3 (Mac)

MM
Posted By
Milla_Michinaga
Dec 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a few styles (.asl files) in my Presets/Styles folder but they don’t show up when I try to load them from the Preset Manager in CS3 and I’m at a loss. What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks,
-Milla

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Dec 22, 2008
Where did the Styles come from?

If they are CS4 Styles they might not work in CS3.
MM
Milla_Michinaga
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Ed
Thanks for taking you time 🙂

I bought a couple of the styles from Renderosity, one was made for PS 7+ and the other for CS2. I also have some basic styles in there that I think came with CS3, those are no visible either.

Thanks again.
-Milla
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2008
Have you moved the Photoshop icon or the Photoshop folder from its default location? Or have you created subfolders in there?
MM
Milla_Michinaga
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Ramon

I’m pretty sure I have not touched anything since the installation, so no moves or new subfolders.

Thanks!
-Milla
P
Phosphor
Dec 23, 2008
Very odd. Do other Presets (Brushes, Swatches, etc.) load? Try copying the .asl files to another folder and see if they can be loaded from there.

I wonder if the files have all become corrupted somehow. You may have to reinstall.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Milla,

Are all your presets in Applications > Adobe Photoshop CS3 > Presets? Next Question: Look in your user library and see if there is a presets folder in ~ Library > Application Support > Adobe Photoshop CS3 > Presets. If so try copying or moving those Styles to the Styles folder in the user library Presets folder and see if it doesn’t work.

My suggestion is rooted in my recent experience with CS4. I copied my bazillion presets to the presets folder in my CS4 Application folder just as I’ve done since, oh, PS5 at least. They wouldn’t show up. After some searching I discovered that the default folders recognized for presets were in the User Library. Why that change occurred I can’t tell you.

I also discovered that I couldn’t just replace the Presets folder in my User Library with the Preset folder from my Applications folder. It still didn’t work. What did work was to put the original Presets folder back in my User Library and copy all the presets to that location. Then everything worked. Again, why I have no idea and figured that it wasn’t worth persuing as everything was working just fine.
MM
Milla_Michinaga
Dec 24, 2008
Thank you Welles!

That was the problem! CS3 was pointing to the Presets folder in Library/Applications Support instead of Applications/Adobe Photoshop — all I needed to do was to re-direct to the Applications folder and it now works beautifully!

Thank you so much!!! :)))
-Milla

Oh and Happy Holidays!
P
Phosphor
Dec 24, 2008
If the .asl files are in the Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Presets folder they can be loaded through the flyout arrow menu on the Styles palette, They should all appear there at the bottom.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections