Posted By
gary_napolitano
May 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi-
I am working on a DELL Dimension 3100 with Windows XP and CS2. Part of my job is to create home page buttons for websites. We save these as gifs, but all of a sudden Photoshop doesnt give me the "Compuserve gif" option when i save and it no longer opens gifs. A warning error appears saying its the wrong file type. This warning appears even when i open previous gifs i have made months ago. The gif option no longer appears in the save dialog box or the open dialoge box. I have no idea what happened. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 3, 2007
I would do two things…Trash Preferences as per the FAQs and henceforth, make your gifs using Save for Web.
GN
gary_napolitano
May 3, 2007
Ed-

Did what you suggested. Saved for web as a gif. But then i tried to reopen it in photoshop and error message "Not the right kind of file" appeared again
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 3, 2007
Did you trash preferences?

If that doesn’t work the correct plugin may be missing or corrupted. If so reinstalling might be the best bet. But try trashing prefs first. Instructions in the FAQs.
RS
Randeep_Singh
May 4, 2007
Can you check if plug-in "Gif.8bi" is present at location: "<harddrive>:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\File Formats".
If not, then Ed Hannigan is right you need to reinstall.
RS
Randeep_Singh
May 4, 2007
For Photoshop CS2, you can check the file at "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS2\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats"
GN
gary_napolitano
May 4, 2007
Randeep-

Thank you sir. That worked. I didnt have the plug-in in the file format folder. Didnt need to reinstall though. Copied and pasted the file from Adobe Bridge folder…Thank you

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections