T
Posted By
tg
Jan 7, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone tell me how i can achieve that cartoon look to people in my photos?

check out samples by this artist
< http://120designs.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_morfeoshow &task=view&gallery=1&Itemid=53>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 7, 2009
tg,

How good are you at photo illustration? This is the kind of illustration that professional illustrators did by brush and ink, watercolor, or tempera. Here is a ten-step program to successfully achieve this in Photoshop:

1. Start with good sharp, well-lighted, detailed, and brightly-colored photos.
2. Montage the components and backgrounds.
3. Play with contrast, vibrance, and saturation controls.
4. Airbrush transitions that can’t be easily masked and add any highlights, sparkles, star effects (use your trained eye).
5. Airbrush to add or enhance components that need it (use your trained eye).
6. Add typography and refine it (use your trained eye).
7. Practice.
8. Practice.
9. Practice.
10. Practice some more.

Neil
T
tg
Jan 7, 2009
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 8, 2009
tg,

It’s quite similar. Lighting of the original photos is very important — identical high-key lighting with high-saturation colors and deep shadows make or break the images. They wind up looking more like fine illustration than photography.

It takes an experienced eye from original photography to finish work in Photoshop.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 8, 2009
tg,

It’s quite similar. Lighting of the original photos is very important — identical high-key lighting with high-saturation colors and deep shadows make or break the individual images. In the end, they wind up looking more like fine illustration than photography.

It takes an experienced eye from original photography to finish work in Photoshop.

Neil
B
Bernie
Jan 8, 2009
This currently is a popular trend in photography.
Many people are using plug-ins such as this:
<http://www.topazlabs.com/topazlabs/03products/topaz_adjust/>
PL
Peter_Lancaster
Jan 8, 2009
what i personally recommend is for you to learn about using "lab" colour in photoshop….you can do exactly what that plugin does yourself by converting the image to lab first and playing with the a and b amongst others.

lab colour has to be one of the most unused, yet one of the best things inside the beast known as photoshop!

– one part is cutting out the silhouettes of the people.

– create a duplicate of that layer, use guassian blur at 15pixels (depending on the size of your image…may be much lower…play around), then set the blending mode of this layer to darken….brings out some lines, etc

– create a duplicate of the original layer, drag it to the top, use guassian blur at 15pixels (depending on the size of your image…may be much lower…play around)
use "exposure" and over expose the duplicate. set this layer to "darker colour"

then lastly, just use a layer/folder mask to delete away the areas that you don’t want affected by the effected! (lol) …while keeping your original "clean" image as the base.

of course as with anything, there are thousands of ways of doing these effects. good luck and happy experimenting!
P
PShock
Jan 8, 2009
Much of this stuff looks like HDR to me …

-phil
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 8, 2009
Tom’s plug-in link might be the easiest start for tg. But it isn’t a panacea. He still has to start with good, well-defined images. Peter’s approach requires more work, but it’s free!

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections