How can I add a mullion (windowpane) effect?

QY
Posted By
Qwert_Y._Uiop
May 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to create an image so that it appears I’m looking at a 9-piece window. Mullions (the thin wooden strip between window panes) creating panes arrayed 3 x 3. Then, I want to be able to fill each pane with a separate color or photo.

The problem is setting up the 3×3 array to begin with. I’ve tried creating a frame around each of the individual 9 images and then placing them next to each other, but that’s not quite as good as the idea of looking at a proper window. So how can I create the framework enabling me to fill in each pane?

If anybody has advice, I’d greatly appreciate it! Thanks very much. –Q

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 12, 2005
I did a template for this a little while ago … and the way I did it was:

I created a new document and filled it with black (that just makes it easier to see what you are doing)
Created a new layer and used the rectrangular marquee to mark out a frame of the outside window … Select>Inverse and the Edit>Fill … White

Then I turned on the grid and decided where to put my frames Next on another new layer I used the rectangular marquee to make one of the Mullions and filled it with white.

I then duplicated this layer to make the other mullions (that ensured that they were all the same width … if you don’t make it square then just stretch them to fit)

Because they were all on individual layers I could move them around until they looked OK. Once I was happy with it I merged all the mullions and the frame,

Now I just drag and drop my template when I need it.

There maybe an easier way but I haven’t found it yet 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 12, 2005
You could also do it this way:

Create a new file and use the line tool to draw your uprights and crossbeams. When you ge them lined up where you want, merge the layers and you could apply a bevel or one of the wood effects if you want to make it look like a real window frame. (You could also just find an image of a window frame and delete the individual panes.)

Now select the opening where you want to put a photo, then copy the image and use the Paste Into (not paste) command. This restricts the visibility of the object you paste to within your selection in the frame. You can move the photo around to get it positioned properly, but it won’t show up outside of the selection. (If you push it out of view it will just disappear.) Repeat for each opening.
PA
Patti Anderson
May 12, 2005
Here’s yet another way to do it. I used this formula to determine the size of the new document for a 3 x 3 window frame:

(3 x the image size) + (4 x the frame width).

For example, if the image size is 3" and the frame is 0.25" you would start with a 10" document size (3 x 3 = 9) + (4 x 0.25) = 10"

1. Create a new document 10" x 10". Use the same ppi as the images you are going to add later and then Click OK. and then fill the image with 50% gray. (Edit menu>Fill>choose 50% Gray from the drop down list).

2. Change the gridlines (Edit menu>Preferences>Grid) to every 1" and subdivisions 4.

3. In the View menu, click to show the grid and again to Snap to Grid.

4. Make white the foreground color. Use the Rectangle tool (U) to draw a 1/4" vertical frame on the left side of the document. On the Options bar click on the Add to shape area option. This will build your frame on one layer. Draw two more vertical frames at 3 1/4" and 6 1/2".

5. Draw a 1/4" horizontal frame across the top of the document, select the "Add to" option again and then draw two more horizontal frames at 3 1/4" and 6 1/2".

6. When the frame is completed, click on the frame layer on the Layers palette, right-click and choose Simplify. Add a bevel and/or a shadow layer style to the frame layer to make it look 3-D. You can experiment with the layer styles, it depends on the look you want.

7. Make the background layer active and then copy & paste your 3" images onto the frame document. Keep the grid showing and snap to grid on until you are done placing the images so that they will snap into place.

Takes longer to describe it than to create it! I do this all the time when designing quilts, but instead of mullions they’re called sashings. XD

Patti
MD
malcolm_denton
May 12, 2005
I just took a photograph of a mullioned window against the light to throw the outline into shadow.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections