JF
Posted By
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
please someone tell me where the setting is to keep my computer ‘off’ when i turn it off. Last week when we had those lightning electric thunder storms I shut my PC off …sure enough the power went out, however….as soon as the power came back on..so did my system even tho i had turned it off. The power was going on and off all day so after the first time my pc kicked back on(even tho I didn’t want it to) I decided to just unplug the darn thing. I have been through the power settings but I just can’t find the option. I am either blind or just looking in the wrong place. I would appreciate some help finding this option. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RR
Raymond Robillard
Aug 6, 2004
Hi there !

A few things… when you shut it down, do you use the Sleep mode or you choose "Shutdown"? Sleep mode can be waken up on power outage.

My former PC had a setting in the BIOS that said "Power On on Power Interuption", or something alike. Since there are no two identical bios, you’ll have to post your computer brand / model for someone to be in better position to help. If it’s a clone (i.e. a no-name beige box), try to write down what it says when it boot, like Amy BIOS or Amitrend, etc. That will help.

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
Ray, I do remember seeing those settings(sleepmode vs shutdown)…let me go check it out..Thanks!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
my power button is set to shut down and my sleep button is set to ‘stand by’. I’ve never touched the sleep button….go ahead and tell me I’m an idiot. What should the sleep button be set to ?
DG
David G House
Aug 6, 2004
Jodi.. see that lil black cord that goes to the thingie in the wall and fits into the two vertical holes????…. Pull that out.. LOL…

Just kiding, I think Ray might have hit on it…

πŸ˜€
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
Dave, jerkin’ my chain are ya ? Yes, I was pullin the plug but I shouldn’t have to !
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 6, 2004
Ray said "it" .

πŸ™‚

Brent
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Aug 6, 2004
Jodi, at various times PC manufacturers have taken different approaches to this issue. I’ve seen PC’s that automatically come back on after a power-outage (though less usually when the box has been manually powered down). This may be handy for a SERVER that sits in an office server room; no one wants to go in on a Sunday night and bring it back up. But I’ve also seen PC’s that won’t come back on, even after an unexpected reboot, without user intervention. Configuration for this may be in the BIOS, a program/setting in Control Panel, or just plain nonexistent.
JD
Juergen_D
Aug 6, 2004
Right. I just checked my machine and it has in BIOS under Power "After AC Power Failure" the options Stay Off, Power On, and Auto.

Juergen

wrote in message
Ray said "it" .

πŸ™‚

Brent
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 6, 2004
In Windows XP:
Click on Start menu…Turn off computer…Turn off.

If you do that there is no way that computer is going to come back on — unless you have gremlins. If there is electrical storms, definitely unplug too.

Patti
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 6, 2004
wrote:
please someone tell me where the setting is to keep my computer ‘off’ when i turn it off. Last week when we had those lightning electric thunder storms I shut my PC off …sure enough the power went out, however….as soon as the power came back on..so did my system even tho i had turned it off. The power was going on and off all day so after the first time my pc kicked back on(even tho I didn’t want it to) I decided to just unplug the darn thing. I have been through the power settings but I just can’t find the option. I am either blind or just looking in the wrong place. I would appreciate some help finding this option. Thanks.

Without knowing the PC vendor, model and BIOS, everything is a guess.

Even when you turn off or shut down a newer computer, it is still receiving power.

After I shut down, if I unplug either of my Dell’s and plug back in, some components receive power, and go into a standby mode. For instance, if you have a network card, power to that card allows it to wake up from a LAN signal. You also may also hear a fan come on momentarily.

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/
DG
David G House
Aug 6, 2004
Now would I jerk your chain the day before your birthday Jodi??? you;re DANG right I would … LOL
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 6, 2004
Jodi,

I have all plugs from computer go through my Belkin surge protector/battery backup including the phone cord for my DSL. Though it is designed to take "the hit" in electrical spikes, I think lightning might be pushing it so I unplug the Belkin from the wall and also unplug the phone cord from the wall jack when the rare electrical storm brews around here. I think you would be best off removing any connection to power when the skys light up. FWIW

Nancy
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 6, 2004
Patti Anderson wrote:
In Windows XP:
Click on Start menu…Turn off computer…Turn off.

If you do that there is no way that computer is going to come back on — unless you have gremlins. If there is electrical storms, definitely unplug too.

Depending on the install, there may be a path from the telephone line to the modem, and/or one from router or cable modem to the NIC.

Ed
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
Patti, Ed, turning it off from the start menu is how i turned it off…it’s how i always turn it off….but, it did in fact kick back on when the power came back ( definietly not the first time this has happened and I’m only getting around to figuring this out now)…anyways, I looked through ALL my settings and I wish I had something as simple as what Juergen found…no such luck. I have all these different power schemes and frankly at this point I think I have a headache. The only thing I could find which sounds remotely like something i want…options for power button and options for sleep button. Power button is obviously set to turn off PC, OK fine. Sleep button is set for ‘stand by’…I have other options on that like hibernate and shut down. Anyways, at this point I have no idea if this little setting would make a difference.
Think I’ll just keep unpluggin the darn thing t’il I can figure it out on a clearer brain….as long as I’m home this should not be too much of a problem. grrrr
JD
Juergen_D
Aug 6, 2004
Jodi,
Did you look in Setup at the BIOS settings? This is before Windows starts up. Power up the PC and press ‘delete’ or ‘F1’, maybe ‘F2’ (they are all different) to get into Setup. Then go to Power and look there. πŸ™‚

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
yup, that’s where I found it alright..it was set to come back on after power outage..no more. Thanks for the added boost to my brain Juergen ! Why is it that I always try to attempt these things when my head hurts…..never fails. It’s almost as though my mind says…"well, as long as it’s hurtin ya still might make use of it other than doing your freekin art " ! I really think that’s it. Thanks again to all of you and my stinkin OT PC post ! πŸ™‚
JD
Juergen_D
Aug 6, 2004
Glad you got it under control, Jodi. πŸ™‚ Sorry about the headache! πŸ™

Juergen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 6, 2004
My headache is gone now..I took 3 ibuprofen ! I’m such a druggy ! πŸ˜›
JD
Juergen_D
Aug 6, 2004
Well, good! Have a Happy Birthday!!

Juergen
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 6, 2004
wrote:
Patti, Ed, turning it off from the start menu is how i turned it off…it’s how i always turn it off….but, it did in fact kick back on when the power came back ( definietly not the first time this has happened and I’m only getting around to figuring this out now)…anyways, I looked through ALL my settings and I wish I had something as simple as what Juergen found…no such luck. I have all these different power schemes and frankly at this point I think I have a headache. The only thing I could find which sounds remotely

If you shut down from Windows, then the power on "feature" you are experiencing is in the BIOS.

That is my best guess, and others have mentioned it.

When you press the power ON button, try the DEL or ESC or other key that the BIOS mfg. has specified.

Look around in the BIOS, probably power management.
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 7, 2004
Maybe a stupid question, but what is an "electrical storm"? We do have electricity all the time. We do have (wind) storms sometimes, but I have never seen the two working together.

Leen
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 7, 2004
Leen,

It is lightning — electrical discharge between clouds and earth — which occurs during a rain storm. Not all rain storms are accompanied by lightning, so the term "electrical storm" is used to differentiate.

Surely there is lightning in the Netherlands?

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 7, 2004
Leen,

In the UK we use the term electrical storm in the same way Byron says … what do you say in the Netherlands?

Wendy
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Aug 7, 2004
There is another danger from lightning to electronic equipment called Electro-Magnetic Force (EMF for short). Close lightning strikes can introduce high voltage surges even if power and phone lines are disconnected. A few years back my completely unplugged PC had it’s sound card fried by a strike within about 50 yards of the house. Theory is that enough energy was collected by the speaker wires to kill the output circuit of the card.

Guess the only sure protection is a hardened site.

Bob
R
RSD99
Aug 7, 2004
"Robert_F_Carruth" posted:
"…
There is another danger from lightning to electronic equipment called Electro-Magnetic Force (EMF for short).
…."

I think you mean ‘Electromagnetic Pulse’ … or EMP. Scientists first began ‘noticing’ EMP during research on A-Bombs and H-Bombs, and the DoD T&E research groups have done a *lot* of work on it.

Electro-Magnetic Force is simply the technical name for "voltage."

wrote in message
There is another danger from lightning to electronic equipment called Electro-Magnetic
Force (EMF for short). Close lightning strikes can introduce high voltage surges even if power and phone lines are disconnected. A few years back my completely unplugged PC had it’s sound card fried by a strike within about 50 yards of the house. Theory is that enough energy was collected by the speaker wires to kill the output circuit of the card.
Guess the only sure protection is a hardened site.

Bob
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 8, 2004
Thanks for the explanation; in Dutch we use the word "onweer". Translated litterally it means "no weather" in a way "this isn’t weather at all, it is too bad". ("On- = un- in english".)

I always supposed "onweer" was called "thunderstorm" and my 45 year old dictionary doesnot mention "electrical storm". I expected it to be something like St. Elms fire.

Indeed we do have electrical storms in the Netherlands; I even expect it at the end of the day. It is too hot and moisty; often this means a thunderstorm in the evening.
We do have almost every weather the rest of the world has, with exception of tornados (extremely rare) and the "fΓΆhn" (no mountains).

Leen
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 8, 2004
Leen,

Thunderstorm and electrical storm can be used interchangeably in the general vernacular. (I suppose that there may be a technical difference between the two terms, which is only known to meteorologists.)

Byron
DS
Dick_Smith
Aug 8, 2004
Wendy,

In that vein, I just finished eading "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by, I think, Elaine Truss. It is a little treatise on the sad, sorry state of punctuation in the English language. I’m still laughing.

I did learn difference between a full stop and a period, however. πŸ™‚

Dick
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 8, 2004
Byron, if someone with your weather related name doesnot know the difference, who else should? πŸ˜‰

Dick, you just finished "eading" about the sorry state of the English language. What did you exactly do?
πŸ˜‰

Leen
DS
Dick_Smith
Aug 8, 2004
Ooops. Said he!
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 8, 2004
Sorry Dick, I couldnot resist the temptation.

On the other hand, sometimes, when reading messages on this forum, not being a native speaker, I wonder what people mean when they use abbreviations and slang. Even worse, sometimes the way some Americans and Canadians abuse the spelling of words! Often I have to pronounce a sentence to understand.

Usually I can make myself clear, but often it is difficult to me to find the proper words and, although I sometimes can help someone out, I just don’t know how to explain. I just sit and wait till someone else replies.

Exemple:
What is correct:
We are people "on", "in" or "at" this forum? My choice would be "on", but I don’t know why.

Leen
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 8, 2004
Leen, ya I abuse spelling of words all the time ‘on’ this forum…and some friends I care about and care about me ( I’m sure they don’;t care that my spelling is bad) frankly, I’m not one to care. I do pay attention to spelling when I’m writing resumes tho :). I’m also not one to correct someone when they say something they didn’t mean (tongue twisting if you wish)…..I know what they meant ! Anyways i >>>(see that, no capital!) understand how some people might be irritated by this. Cuz im shur it kan b anoying.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 9, 2004
Like all Photoshop tricks, file it away as one of you arrows of creativity and when the target is right let fly.

Grant
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 9, 2004
Woops sorry wrong thread.

Grant πŸ™
LK
Leen_Koper
Aug 9, 2004
Jodi, thank you for telling me "on" is the right word. Whenever I see your name I know I have to pronounce it, but nevertheless your way of spelling isn’t a problem at all. Somehow it demonstrates your personality and I like it this way.

My posting was’t intended to act like a teacher correcting his pupils. Just only a modest request to help those "bloody foreigners", speaking english like a five year old, to understand the text. πŸ˜‰

I still do love all folks ON this forum! πŸ˜‰

Leen
DS
Dick_Smith
Aug 9, 2004
wrote:

Sorry Dick, I couldnot resist the temptation.

No problem, Leen. I was not offended at all. It is funny how you can be typing along and not see those little errors.

Dick
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 10, 2004
wrote:

In the case of thunderstorms, turning the computer off is only minimally better than just leaving it on. Unplugging from the wall gives the best protection against harm. You might also consider a UPS which will protect the computer from such problems, and enable you to gracefully shut the computer down, even if the power goes off.

As for the computer coming back on when the power comes on, you need to check with the manufacturer about that problem.
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 10, 2004
wrote:

Jodi,

I have all plugs from computer go through my Belkin surge protector/battery backup including the phone cord for my DSL. Though it is designed to take "the hit" in electrical spikes, I think lightning might be pushing it so I unplug the Belkin from the wall and also unplug the phone cord from the wall jack when the rare electrical storm brews around here. I think you would be best off removing any connection to power when the skys light up. FWIW

Nancy

For what it is worth, I live in ‘tornado alley’ (Fort Worth, Tx), and we have thunderstorms so frequently that if I always unplugged the computer (assuming I were always home) every time there was bad weather, I wouldn’t get much use out of it. That being the case, I have a surge protector, and a UPS online for each computer. I never shutdown, or unplug them. I have been running this way for several years now with zero trouble. The truth is that if I ever get a direct hit, the computers will likely be the LEAST of my problems. Given that I have special grounding in the electrical connections here, it might not be wise for others to follow the same plan.
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 10, 2004
wrote:

Maybe a stupid question, but what is an "electrical storm"? We do have electricity all the time. We do have (wind) storms sometimes, but I have never seen the two working together.

Leen

Grin, Well, you surely don’t live in Texas. We have storms with high winds, hail, and really violent lightning OFTEN.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections