S
Posted By
sunnyway
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a picture that was saved to web with resolution of 72 ppi. It’s current size is 8.639 in (622 pixels) by 5.778 in (416 pixels). It looks good on the web. I want to make a print at 6 " x 4", but 72 ppi will make a lousy print if I simply resize it.

How can I increase the ppi in a manner that will result in a good resolution print? I’m thinking 230 ppi would be about right. Is there a trick to increase the ppi so the quality of the picture will be retained?
Sunny

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BobHill
Aug 11, 2004
Sunnyway,

The only way to increase the resolution from a 72ppi image is to either make it smaller, or Resample. Making it physically smaller won’t fit your needs. And to keep the best resolution possible without making it blur too much, I’d recommend a Resample rate no higher than 150ppi, which is very printable. Give that a shot. In most cases it works relatively well.

Bob
S
sunnyway
Aug 12, 2004
Should I select Bicubic, Nearest Neighbor, or Bilinear? (I don’t have a clue what any of those mean.)
GD
Grant_Dixon
Aug 12, 2004
Sunnyway

Bicubic will give you the best results by far. The other two are left over from day of slower computer and may have some artistic reasons for staying but for quality go for Bicubic

Grant
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 12, 2004
Although I know of no real evidence to support our position, many of us feel we get better results when upsampling by, first, using bicupic, and then by increasing the resolution in increments of 10% at a time. I’ve been really pleased with a couple of images I "pushed" using this method. They’re not as good as using original pixels by any means, but they turned out better than I expected.
PL
Pixel_Lady
Aug 12, 2004
One of the best programs for this is Qimage…it is top notch!! Check it out at <http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections