DS
Posted By
Don_Sibrel
May 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a registered copy of Windows Photoshop CS on my old XP computer. It it possible to install it on my new Windows Vista computer? If it is, how can I do this? I tried for a solution via e-mail, but was told that it can’t be resolved by e-mail, but I was given a case number. They gave me a phone number of tech support. Tech support said to go to the Adobe Web site.

Does any one know how to to this? That would really be great!

Thanks,
Don

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
just install and activate? what’s the problem? did you lose the disk?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 25, 2007
Don,

It sounds like you’re getting nothing but bad help from Adobe. A case number is useless as is the Adobe Web site….well, apart from just directing you to contact Adobe Customer Service for support with your activation status.

PS CS does not have any way to transfer an activation or deactivate the application, so your best move is to simply go ahead and try installing PS CS on the new PC. If you’ve not activated in a long time, the activation server may well have already reset so that another activation is permitted; that is, there supposedly is some time period that can elapse where your activation is reset anyway, on the assumption you might’ve changed PCs or hardware.

Also, if this would only be the 2nd system you’ve activated on, then you’re already covered by the normal retail license which permits 2 activations, provided the 2 PCs are not used concurrently. So, just go ahead and try the installation and activation on the new PC. Then, if you’re denied activation, you’ll be provided a number to contact Adobe for personal support from, and they can reset your activation status once you explain to them that you’ve removed PS CS from the older PC and have installed it to a newer one.

Regards,

Daryl
BL
Bob Levine
May 25, 2007
A more important thing to keep in mind is that CS is not supported or recommended under Windows Vista. It’s certain a YMMV situation, though.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
A more important thing to keep in mind is that CS is not supported or recommended under Windows Vista.

even more important to remember is that vista isn’t recommended as an operating system. stick with xp pro if you can! (sp3 coming aaaaaaaany day now. [yes really. {well, not ANY day but <before the end of the year>}.])
L
lynofoz
May 27, 2007
I hope this isn’t rehashing the same stuff, but I want to understand. I have PSHP on my old XP Professional computer & want to install it on my new Vista computer. I know that old PSHP is not compatible with Vista, but Dell is selling an upgrade that it says is Vista compatible. My question is this: Do I need to have my previous version of PSHP already installed on the computer that I’m buying the upgrade for, or is the upgrade software the complete program, so if I buy it, I have the whole program, which I can then install on my Vista computer?
BL
Bob Levine
May 27, 2007
No, you don’t need to install the upgrade but you will need the disk to verify your eligibility.

Bob
L
lynofoz
May 27, 2007
I’m sorry Bob. I don’t understand. Are you saying that I can buy the upgrade as long as I have the old disk (i.e., I can get the authorization info I need from the old disk using my old computer)? Or does the old software have to be active on the computer where I’m installing the upgrade so Adobe can get the info from the old program? (Sorry to be so dense.)
GD
george_dingwall
May 27, 2007
I have CS, CS2 and CS3 installed on my PC with Vista Ultimate installed. All three seem to work OK to me, although I haven’t been using CS and CS2 much since I installed CS3.

I keep CS and CS2 going, because I give support to some people who use those versions and I need to be able to understand any problems that are being given to me.

I also help some people who still use PS7, but I haven’t tried to load that yet. I haven’t had any request for PS7 help recently.

Hope this helps.
L
lynofoz
May 27, 2007
Thanks George, but I really wanted to know about the upgrade & whether it works as I want to do it. (I have Vista Home Premium.)
GD
george_dingwall
May 27, 2007
Hi Lynofoz,

My post was an answer for the original poster to say that there are no real problems installing Photoshop that was installed on XP onto a new Vista computer.

You don’t say which version of Photoshop you want to install. If it’s CS, CS2 or CS3, then I can can tell you that they all seem to work OK on Vista.

If it’s an older version than that, I don’t know at the moment.

An upgrade is a full program. However, you do need to prove that you have a qualifying version of the program for the upgrade to go ahead.

When you install an upgraded version of Photoshop, you need to have one of the following;

A qualifying version of the program installed on your system.

The original install disk from a qualifying version.

From memory I think you may also be able to enter the Serial No. from a qualifying version.

As far as advising you "whether it works as I want to do it", I have no idea how you want to do it. It is possible that you may have to re-activate the program if you have previously activated your copy on the other PC, but generally that’s not a big problem.

All I can tell you is that CS, CS2 and CS3 work fine on my Vista machine, and I had no trouble in transferring CS and CS2 from my old XP machine when the new Vista PC arrived.

Hope this helps.
BL
Bob Levine
May 27, 2007
Just install the upgrade. During the installation you’ll be asked to insert the CD from the older version (worth noting here is that only version 7, CS, and CS2 are eligible). Swap the disks at the prompt and that should be that.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections