DM
Posted By
Dan_Mikal_Sr.
Aug 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On starting my elements application I keep getting an alert message regarding adobe online error. A further message says "file could not be downloaded" C:\Program files\Common files\Ad…b\AWEXFiles.txt The file being downloadedcould not be written to disk because it could not be created at the specified download locationn. 21:40 I do not know what this means or what to do about it. I want to stop getting this message every time I open Elements.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 28, 2004
Dan,

Go off line then do:

Photoshop Elements>Preferences>Adobe Online …. and set it to never. There are no downloads available and it does cause problems.

Hope this sorts it out
Wendy
DM
Dan_Mikal_Sr.
Aug 30, 2004
Worked like a charm! Thanks Wendy
MA
Michelle_Alarcon
Aug 30, 2004
I am unable to start up Photoshop.
When I first open the application I see a pop up that has a header, "Updating Adobe Online Components from Adobe.com" and then the window does nothing. I tried everything from restarting to reinstalling but the application will just not start. I need some help.
MA
Michelle_Alarcon
Aug 31, 2004
Ramón,

Thank you for the advice. However, I am unable to startup both my Photoshop or Illustrator applications. They are both freezing at the time of startup. Is there any other recommendation you can give me to go around this problem. I tried to quit my internet and then launch the programs but this does not work either? I am at a loss.
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 31, 2004
Michelle, you don’t say what operating system you’re using, but I found an older thread where someone running Elements on a Mac was having the same thing happen. He posted the fix, and I think doing the same thing would work for your PS and Illustrator apps, but if you’re on a Win machine you’ll have to do some searching for the right folder. Here’s the path on a Mac:

"I tried the Cmd+Option+Shift method to delete the Settings, and the next time I launched it froze again in the same way. However, I was able to get through to customer support and they had me delete the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web folder, which worked."

So, it appears that you’re looking for a folder that handles preferences for the Web component of the two programs. Maybe a Windows user will come along and give you a "translation". I can’t!
MA
Michelle_Alarcon
Aug 31, 2004
Beth,

I actually just sovled the problem. I am working on a Mac OS X 10.3.5. My problem was that I was not disconnecting from the internet properly. I am working on a network so I had to go under System Preferences to my Network to manually disconnect the internet connection. Once I did this I was able to open up both Photoshop and Illustrator and I set my preferences so that it will not try to update itself in the future. Thanks to all for the help!
R
Ram
Aug 31, 2004
Michelle,

Glad you solved it. Actually, I was suggesting the brute force approach: pull the plug of the Internet cable from the machine. It never occurred to me you were going to try it through the software. 😀
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 31, 2004
Ramon,

Thank you for making me smile … I thought it was only me that resorted to brute force 🙂

Wendy
RS
Robin_Schold
Aug 31, 2004
My Grandpa taught me: "Don’t force it, get the BIG hammer."

Robin S

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections