Posted By
Martin
Apr 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,

I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of PSE5. When I connect my digital camera a photoshop downloader window appears with thumbnails. Then I start downloading and the downloader downloads the photos to the disk. After that it starts the Organizer of the Photoshop Elements. And that is all.

In this moment it should import the newly downloaded photos into the Organizer, and it does not. Also it does not delete the originals from the camera even though I’ve selected that it should be deleted after downloading.

Do you anyone know what should I do with this to make it work? I’ve tried to uninstall the program and reinstall it again. I also tried to install it again on new windows installation with no success…

Martin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
_nemo_
Apr 14, 2007
On 11 Apr, 21:51, "Martin" wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of PSE5.

I suggest u to try to import some pics form a directory on your PC, that is copy them manually form the card somewhere in the HD and then import from that place.
This could help you undertsand if the problem regards PS itself or PS with your camera/card
GA
Gerry Atrick
Apr 14, 2007
"Martin" wrote in message
| Hi everyone,
|
| I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of | PSE5. When I connect my digital camera a photoshop downloader window | appears with thumbnails. Then I start downloading and the downloader | downloads the photos to the disk. After that it starts the Organizer | of the Photoshop Elements. And that is all.
|
| In this moment it should import the newly downloaded photos into the | Organizer, and it does not. Also it does not delete the originals from | the camera even though I’ve selected that it should be deleted after | downloading.
|
| Do you anyone know what should I do with this to make it work? I’ve | tried to uninstall the program and reinstall it again. I also tried to | install it again on new windows installation with no success… |
| Martin

Hi Martin
I am not sure what is happening as regards PSE5 Organiser – but you can select to have automatic download on or off. When the Photo Downloader runs – look at right hand panel at the bottom there is a check box beside which it says Automatic Download. Have you got that ticked?
With regard to deleing files I would strongly advise against automatic deletion from the camera. Better to wait until you are certain you will not need them again. So, keep it on the card until you are absolutely sure you do not need it, or back it up to another disk or USB memory stick. I think it is generally considered best to use your camera’s facility for deleting images from the memory card or its facility for formatting
the card, rather than letting your computer do it.

Gerry
B
Bob AZ
Apr 17, 2007
On Apr 11, 12:51?pm, "Martin" wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of PSE5. When I connect my digital camera a photoshop downloader window
Do you anyone know what should I do with this to make it work? I’ve tried to uninstall the program and reinstall it again. I also tried to install it again on new windows installation with no success…
Martin
B
Bob AZ
Apr 17, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of PSE5. When I connect my digital camera a photoshop downloader window

Martin

Not sure what camera you are using but try to download from the camera to the computer and then work from your editor, PSE5, to do whatever you are going to do with the images.

I use a Microsoft program to download the pictures to my HD. I have a directory with folders just for this. As soon as I get a CD worth I save them all and store the CD separetely. The when I mess up, and I do, I can always go back and straighten things out again.

The Microsoft program I use is specific to my camera and several others.

Bob AZ
M
Martin
Apr 20, 2007
Hi, manual importing of already downloaded files works fine. There is only problem with the adobe downloader using any removable device (not only my camera). After the download is done, the downloader starts PSEL organizer, but it does not start import of the downloaded files into the organizer. I have to manually find the folder that was created by the downloader and manually import files from that folder and then manually delete the files from my camera.

I’ve tried that on two different installations of windows, with three different cameras (Nikon D200, D70 and Olympus SP350), with USB-stick and also with compact flash card reader. No difference, everything does the same.

I’ve been using PSEL4 some time before and it was working perfectly. This problem appears to be only on the new version of PSEL.

Martin

_nemo_ napsal:
On 11 Apr, 21:51, "Martin" wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of PSE5.

I suggest u to try to import some pics form a directory on your PC, that is copy them manually form the card somewhere in the HD and then import from that place.
This could help you undertsand if the problem regards PS itself or PS with your camera/card
M
Martin
Apr 20, 2007
Hi Gerry,

I’ve checked only "Open Organizer when Finished", the rest is unchecked. Then I’ve selected "After Copying, Verify and Delete Originals". That’s all. In previous version (PSEL4) this was working fine – after copying to a new folder it ran organizer, imported the new photos and asked me, if I want to delete photos from my camera/ reader. Nice, automatic, easy, fast. Then I’ve upgraded to the 5 version and it is not working anymore.

Martin

Gerry Atrick napsal:
| Hi everyone,
|
| I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of | PSE5. When I connect my digital camera a photoshop downloader window | appears with thumbnails. Then I start downloading and the downloader | downloads the photos to the disk. After that it starts the Organizer | of the Photoshop Elements. And that is all.
|
| In this moment it should import the newly downloaded photos into the | Organizer, and it does not. Also it does not delete the originals from | the camera even though I’ve selected that it should be deleted after | downloading.
|
| Do you anyone know what should I do with this to make it work? I’ve | tried to uninstall the program and reinstall it again. I also tried to | install it again on new windows installation with no success… |
| Martin

Hi Martin
I am not sure what is happening as regards PSE5 Organiser – but you can select to have automatic download on or off. When the Photo Downloader runs – look at right hand panel at the bottom there is a check box beside which it says Automatic Download. Have you got that ticked?
With regard to deleing files I would strongly advise against automatic deletion from the camera. Better to wait until you are certain you will not need them again. So, keep it on the card until you are absolutely sure you do not need it, or back it up to another disk or USB memory stick. I think it is generally considered best to use your camera’s facility for deleting images from the memory card or its facility for formatting
the card, rather than letting your computer do it.

Gerry
M
Martin
Apr 20, 2007
Hi Bob,

I’ve bought PSEL mainly for its organizing features. I am also using the editor, but the organizer is really the main thing. Thats why I would like to get this working. The previous version of PSEL worked fine, this does not.

P.S.: I am using Nikon D70 and D200 cameras if it does matter.

Martin

Bob AZ napsal:
Hi everyone,

Martin

Not sure what camera you are using but try to download from the camera to the computer and then work from your editor, PSE5, to do whatever you are going to do with the images.

I use a Microsoft program to download the pictures to my HD. I have a directory with folders just for this. As soon as I get a CD worth I save them all and store the CD separetely. The when I mess up, and I do, I can always go back and straighten things out again.
The Microsoft program I use is specific to my camera and several others.

Bob AZ
DF
Don F
Apr 21, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have weird problem with downloading photos into the organizer of PSE5. When I connect my digital camera a photoshop downloader window appears with thumbnails. Then I start downloading and the downloader downloads the photos to the disk. After that it starts the Organizer of the Photoshop Elements. And that is all.

In this moment it should import the newly downloaded photos into the Organizer, and it does not. Also it does not delete the originals from the camera even though I’ve selected that it should be deleted after downloading.

Martin
Martin,
You said that you are able to get images from the camera to the HD. Is the destination folder in your download process included in your "Watched Folder" list?
When you open the organizer and choose the "Folder Location" option, does the destination folder have the "watched folder" eye added to the folder icon? If not, right click and add it to the "watched folder" list. Also, you have to select "Add Unmanaged Files to Catalog" in order to import the new images into the organizer catalog.
Don F
M
Martin
Apr 21, 2007
Hi Don,

I know how watched folders works, but that is something different. If I set that folder as watched folder, PSEL checks that folder on start and if there are new photos it asks me to add it to the organizer. That is the way that I am using now as work-around. But it is not the right function – it should work the same way as it worked in previous version, shouldn’t it? In version 4 there was also watched folders and I did not used them, because I did not manually copy files into that folders. I was always using adobe downloader that did everything for me automatically.

Martin

Don F napsal:
Hi everyone,

Martin
Martin,
You said that you are able to get images from the camera to the HD. Is the destination folder in your download process included in your "Watched Folder" list?
When you open the organizer and choose the "Folder Location" option, does the destination folder have the "watched folder" eye added to the folder icon? If not, right click and add it to the "watched folder" list. Also, you have to select "Add Unmanaged Files to Catalog" in order to import the new images into the organizer catalog.
Don F
DF
Don F
Apr 21, 2007
Hi Don,

I know how watched folders works, but that is something different. If I set that folder as watched folder, PSEL checks that folder on start and if there are new photos it asks me to add it to the organizer. That is the way that I am using now as work-around. But it is not the right function – it should work the same way as it worked in previous version, shouldn’t it? In version 4 there was also watched folders and I did not used them, because I did not manually copy files into that folders. I was always using adobe downloader that did everything for me automatically.

Martin
Martin,
I have never tried downloading from my camera before so I just tried down loading files from my wife’s Canon to see how the camera down load function works.
I down loaded into an image folder with the watch folder option set. I was able to down load images from my wife’s Canon into the watched folder and they showed up immediately in Elements 5 organizer. This was my first try at this and I had no problem.
I opened the organizer first and then selected the option to down load files from the camera. I saw the files as they were downloaded. (I forgot to uncheck the option to auto correct for red-eye so it also performed that function.)
When I finished a window appeared which said that only the down loaded files were displayed and to check the "all photos" option. I am not sure why you are having problems but it appears Elements 5 should do what you want.
Don F
M
Martin
Apr 22, 2007
Hi Don,

So tried it that way you did it.

I took a shot, then connected the camera with USB cable to my PC. An adobe downloader appeared, so I cancelled it and opened PSEL instead of it. I chose Get Photos->From camera or card reader, and a download dialog appeared. I selected D200 as a device, Create folder using today’s date, Do not rename files, After copying, verify and delete originals, and left all checkboxes unchecked. Then the photo was copied to disk, after that a dialog appeared with: "Files has been successfully copied from device, and are ready for import. PSEL will now import these files into catalog". I confirmed that with OK button and nothing happened, nothing was imported into catalog.

The last dialog is the only difference when I am using the automatic downloader that appears after connecting my camera to my PC. But the result is still the same…

Martin

Don F napsal:
Hi Don,

Martin
Martin,
I have never tried downloading from my camera before so I just tried down loading files from my wife’s Canon to see how the camera down load function works.
I down loaded into an image folder with the watch folder option set. I was able to down load images from my wife’s Canon into the watched folder and they showed up immediately in Elements 5 organizer. This was my first try at this and I had no problem.
I opened the organizer first and then selected the option to down load files from the camera. I saw the files as they were downloaded. (I forgot to uncheck the option to auto correct for red-eye so it also performed that function.)
When I finished a window appeared which said that only the down loaded files were displayed and to check the "all photos" option. I am not sure why you are having problems but it appears Elements 5 should do what you want.
Don F
DF
Don F
Apr 22, 2007
<snip>
I took a shot, then connected the camera with USB cable to my PC. An adobe downloader appeared, so I cancelled it and opened PSEL instead of it. I chose Get Photos->From camera or card reader, and a download dialog appeared. I selected D200 as a device, Create folder using today’s date, ……..
Martin,
This is probably the important difference between what I did and what you did. I have an already established "master" image holder folder (named "D70 Images") which is set up as a watched folder. I chose that as the destination download folder for the Canon camera image files. I am in no way an expert in Elements 5 use, but there could be a bug in the software or we both are missing something.
Try creating a "master" image folder in Windows which is set it up as a watched folder in the Elements 5 orgaizer. Download your camera images into that folder and see if that works.
Also, do you have the "Adobe Photo Loader" icon displayed in your Windows taskbar?
Don F
B
Bob AZ
Apr 23, 2007
On Apr 22, 2:37�am, Martin wrote:
Hi Don,

M
Martin
Apr 25, 2007
Again – I don’t want to use watched folders. Just now I’am using them, but it is only a workaround. I do have as you say a master folder named "Photos" and the adobe downloader downloads photos into it – it automagically creates folders based on date. And when I start PSEL it searches watched folders and add new photos into the organizer.

What I am missing is the function of automatic import that was in PSEL4. I was not using watched folders in that version and it worked better than the watched folders do now – after download completed it automatically imported the new photos into the organizer AND deleted the originals from the camera (so I hadn’t do it manually using windows explorer) AND all that without that terrible delay on start of PSEL when it it is searching watched folders (I have tens of thousands photos in that watched folder, so it takes some time to search it all).

Martin

Don F napsal:
<snip>
I took a shot, then connected the camera with USB cable to my PC. An adobe downloader appeared, so I cancelled it and opened PSEL instead of it. I chose Get Photos->From camera or card reader, and a download dialog appeared. I selected D200 as a device, Create folder using today’s date, ……..
Martin,
This is probably the important difference between what I did and what you did. I have an already established "master" image holder folder (named "D70 Images") which is set up as a watched folder. I chose that as the destination download folder for the Canon camera image files. I am in no way an expert in Elements 5 use, but there could be a bug in the software or we both are missing something.
Try creating a "master" image folder in Windows which is set it up as a watched folder in the Elements 5 orgaizer. Download your camera images into that folder and see if that works.
Also, do you have the "Adobe Photo Loader" icon displayed in your Windows taskbar?
Don F

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections