CB
Posted By
Charlie Brookhart
Jan 1, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an image that I am using as a desktop background. This particular image has text in the upper right corner along with a graphic. I don’t have a problem with this for a desktop background, but I am wanting to use the same image for a video cd that I am making. I would like to get rid of the text and graphic since it is partially cut off when viewed on the TV. I have gone to the layers tab and it shows a lock icon and all the layer icons are greyed out. I don’t have any experience working with layers. Can anyone help me out?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Corey
Jan 1, 2005
"Charlie Brookhart" wrote in message
I have an image that I am using as a desktop background. This particular image has text in the upper right corner along with a graphic. I don’t
have
a problem with this for a desktop background, but I am wanting to use the same image for a video cd that I am making. I would like to get rid of the text and graphic since it is partially cut off when viewed on the TV. I
have
gone to the layers tab and it shows a lock icon and all the layer icons
are
greyed out. I don’t have any experience working with layers. Can anyone
help
me out?

Usually, when you open an image that hasn’t been opened before, the single layer is called "background" and is locked. If you double-click on the layer in the layers palette, it will "make a layer" and will unlock. You can also rename it.

Often, a better idea is to drag the "background" layer to the New Layer icon at the bottom of the layers palette and turn off the eye on the "background" layer. This will preserve a copy of the original, should you need it or want to compare, while also creating an unlocked copy that can now be edited.

Layers work is like a stack of cutouts. You can create something in one layer that is in front (or on top of) something else in another layer. You can add effects to layers independently of each other, resize them, copy them, change the opacity, etc. If you apply one effect to one layer, you can drag copies of the same effect to other layers. All this is done within the Layers Palette. At the bottom, are all sorts of little icons that will eventually require your attention. 😉

Peadge 🙂
CB
Charlie Brookhart
Jan 1, 2005
I have removed the lock from the layer by double clicking the image in the layers tab. Like I said, I have no experience working with layers. I’m sure it’s not that hard, but I don’t understand how to go about removing the graphic and text from the top right corner of my image. The original image is layer 0 and then I create a new one which becomes layer 1. This is as far as I can go. Having no experience at all in working with layers, it seems like this is going to be a very slow process.

"Peadge" wrote in message
I have an image that I am using as a desktop background. This particular image has text in the upper right corner along with a graphic. I don’t
have
a problem with this for a desktop background, but I am wanting to use
the
same image for a video cd that I am making. I would like to get rid of
the
text and graphic since it is partially cut off when viewed on the TV. I
have
are
help
me out?

Usually, when you open an image that hasn’t been opened before, the single layer is called "background" and is locked. If you double-click on the
layer
in the layers palette, it will "make a layer" and will unlock. You can
also
rename it.

Often, a better idea is to drag the "background" layer to the New Layer
icon
at the bottom of the layers palette and turn off the eye on the
"background"
layer. This will preserve a copy of the original, should you need it or
want
to compare, while also creating an unlocked copy that can now be edited.
Layers work is like a stack of cutouts. You can create something in one layer that is in front (or on top of) something else in another layer. You can add effects to layers independently of each other, resize them, copy them, change the opacity, etc. If you apply one effect to one layer, you
can
drag copies of the same effect to other layers. All this is done within
the
Layers Palette. At the bottom, are all sorts of little icons that will eventually require your attention. 😉

Peadge 🙂

PD
postman delivers
Jan 1, 2005
have
a problem with this for a desktop background, but I am wanting to use the same image for a video cd that I am making. I would like to get rid of the text and graphic since it is partially cut off when viewed on the TV. I
have
are
help
me out?

Charlie.

Locking layers is the section you want to locate in the help menu –

Left Click help or (F1) > Left click index > Left click L > scroll down to layers and then locate Locking Layers.

It explains how to lock, and unlock – it also show you how to lock and unlock transparent layers.

I do not mean to be abrupt, but Adobe’s explanation is far better then I could provide…

My suggestion is you should run through the tutorial on layers in the help section… You will increase your abilities in Elements 100 fold, and it should not take you longer than 10 to 15 minutes.

Locking layers
You can fully or partially lock layers to protect their contents. When a layer is locked, a lock displays to the right of the layer name, and the layer cannot be deleted. The lock is solid when the layer is fully locked and no editing is possible; it is hollow when only the layer’s transparency is locked. Except for the background layer, locked layers can be moved to different locations in the stacking order of the Layers palette. When a layer is fully locked, you cannot edit the pixels, move it, or change its opacity, blending mode, or layer style. When only a layer’s transparency is locked, painting and editing are confined to opaque areas of the layer. For example, if you lock a layer’s transparency, you can edit an object without adding opaque pixels to the transparent area outside the object.

JR the postman
M
mrfss
Jan 1, 2005
"postman delivers" wrote in message
have
a problem with this for a desktop background, but I am wanting to use the same image for a video cd that I am making. I would like to get rid of the
have
are
help
me out?
It is hard to tell how big these text and graphic images are without seeing the picture. If they aren’t too big and in an area of the total picture that is not "busy" or background of one color, perhaps you could clone stamp them out or paint them out. If the area of the background where they are is complicated in detail, that would be difficult.

If you want to email me a copy the picture, I’d be glad to take a look and see what could be done.

Tom

CB
Charlie Brookhart
Jan 2, 2005
"mrfss" wrote in message
"postman delivers" wrote in message
I have an image that I am using as a desktop background. This
particular
image has text in the upper right corner along with a graphic. I don’t
have
a problem with this for a desktop background, but I am wanting to use
the
same image for a video cd that I am making. I would like to get rid of the
have
are
help
me out?
It is hard to tell how big these text and graphic images are without
seeing
the picture. If they aren’t too big and in an area of the total picture that is not "busy" or background of one color, perhaps you could clone
stamp
them out or paint them out. If the area of the background where they are
is
complicated in detail, that would be difficult.

If you want to email me a copy the picture, I’d be glad to take a look and see what could be done.

Tom

Tom,

I’ve tried sending you the image, twice now, but Adelphia keeps bouncing it back to me.

My image is posted in alt.binaries.comp-graphics as an attachment.
M
mrfss
Jan 2, 2005
If you want to email me a copy the picture, I’d be glad to take a look and
see what could be done.

Tom

Tom,

I’ve tried sending you the image, twice now, but Adelphia keeps bouncing it
back to me.

My image is posted in alt.binaries.comp-graphics as an attachment.
See my comments there. The picture was too big to get on my server.

Tom

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections