Posted By
Friend
Mar 27, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I want to get a photo editing software but I can’t make up my mind. Digital Image Suite 10 or Photoshop Element 3.0?

I have a copy of the Picture 10 Express. (come with the Microsoft keyboard) I kinda like it. It is very fast. I like the Photo Library. However, the end result of the auto fix features is not that good IMO.

I also have a copy of PhotoShop 6.0 in my office. I’ve seen my co-worker does wonder with PS6.0. However, when I try, I have no idea what to do or how to do it. 😉 Not to mention PS6.0 takes forever to start and use alot of memory.

Any pointer?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PD
postman delivers
Mar 28, 2005
"boaz" wrote in message
Hi,

I want to get a photo editing software but I can’t make up my mind. Digital Image Suite 10 or Photoshop Element 3.0?

I have a copy of the Picture 10 Express. (come with the Microsoft
keyboard)
I kinda like it. It is very fast. I like the Photo Library. However,
the
end result of the auto fix features is not that good IMO.
I also have a copy of PhotoShop 6.0 in my office. I’ve seen my co-worker does wonder with PS6.0. However, when I try, I have no idea what to do or how to do it. 😉 Not to mention PS6.0 takes forever to start and use
alot
of memory.

Any pointer?

3.0 elements has numerous advances over Printshop version 6.0, but there are many thing not included in the $60 dollar PE 2 & 3 software that are in everyday use by most users of Photoshop.

I would suggest you learn to use Printshop 6 if you can, off the top of my head it has quickmask, and the pen tool – There is kinda a workaround for quickmask as explained by Janee Aronoff in "Photoshop Elements 2 Tips & Tricks page 48-51", (ISBN 1-904344-27-5) but it is not the same thing as Photoshop’s quickmask. Also learn the pen tool in Photoshop it is something every other user of Photoshop does not take the time to learn and it allows so many things, and it is a good door opener for adobe’s Illustrator software.

Quick Mask and the Pen Tool makes a older version of Photoshop a better pick than Elements in my humble opinion. But everyone must male their own choice, to that end Please set aside time to read or look closely at Richard Lynch, book on Elements 3.
http://hiddenelements.com/powerbooksinfo.html

Or look at his Elements 2 book –

To learn how to use Printshop version 6 –
I would purchase a used copy of Adobe Photoshop version 6 "Classroom in a Book"

I would suggest you use the free irfanview software over the misguided non-folder based philosophy of Adobe’s Album software. In my personal opinion Adobe, is trying to push its Photo Album software, by commingling it in the window version of Elements 3. Apple users do no get the software, it is only bundled in the Windows Version. It seems every graphic software company is pushing their rip-off of ACDSee, Thumbs or Compupic software and including it with their editing software,

Irfanview – download both the program and the plugins
http://www.irfanview.com/

boaz,

If you do not want to take a few hours to learn how to use a graphic program, then the recipes in elements, or the easy fix that Digital Image Suite allow should work for you.

However here are my suggestions –

Photoshop version 6/7 over Elements 3
Use Irfanview or ACDSee, Thumbs, or Compupic rather than Adobe’s Album, or MS’s Photo Library.

Find a back-up program as graphic take a long time to modify. Please back up every time you add more photos from your digital camera, or work a number of hours on a specific photo. I lost a lot of photos in a Computer that grew legs and left with a roommate, and a computer fire & hard drive failure.

Do not be lulled into that idea you can replace photos – back up hourly, daily, or weekly using an routine and maybe a software product for that purpose.

Good luck, look closely at Richard Lynch’s book, and visit Janee’s website…
http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm

JR the postman
PD
postman delivers
Mar 28, 2005
"postman delivers" wrote in message
"boaz" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a copy of the Picture 10 Express. (come with the Microsoft
keyboard)
I kinda like it. It is very fast. I like the Photo Library. However,
the
end result of the auto fix features is not that good IMO.
I also have a copy of PhotoShop 6.0 in my office. I’ve seen my
co-worker
does wonder with PS6.0. However, when I try, I have no idea what to do
or
how to do it. 😉 Not to mention PS6.0 takes forever to start and use
alot
of memory.

Any pointer?

3.0 elements has numerous advances over Printshop version 6.0, but there
are
many thing not included in the $60 dollar PE 2 & 3 software that are in everyday use by most users of Photoshop.

I would suggest you learn to use Printshop 6 if you can, off the top of my head it has quickmask, and the pen tool – There is kinda a workaround for quickmask as explained by Janee Aronoff in "Photoshop Elements 2 Tips & Tricks page 48-51", (ISBN 1-904344-27-5) but it is not the same thing as Photoshop’s quickmask. Also learn the pen tool in Photoshop it is
something
every other user of Photoshop does not take the time to learn and it
allows
so many things, and it is a good door opener for adobe’s Illustrator software.

Quick Mask and the Pen Tool makes a older version of Photoshop a better
pick
than Elements in my humble opinion. But everyone must male their own choice, to that end Please set aside time to read or look closely at Richard Lynch, book on Elements 3.
http://hiddenelements.com/powerbooksinfo.html

Or look at his Elements 2 book –

To learn how to use Printshop version 6 –
I would purchase a used copy of Adobe Photoshop version 6 "Classroom in a Book"

I would suggest you use the free irfanview software over the misguided non-folder based philosophy of Adobe’s Album software. In my personal opinion Adobe, is trying to push its Photo Album software, by commingling
it
in the window version of Elements 3. Apple users do no get the software,
it
is only bundled in the Windows Version. It seems every graphic software company is pushing their rip-off of ACDSee, Thumbs or Compupic software
and
including it with their editing software,

Irfanview – download both the program and the plugins
http://www.irfanview.com/

boaz,

If you do not want to take a few hours to learn how to use a graphic program, then the recipes in elements, or the easy fix that Digital Image Suite allow should work for you.

However here are my suggestions –

Photoshop version 6/7 over Elements 3
Use Irfanview or ACDSee, Thumbs, or Compupic rather than Adobe’s Album, or MS’s Photo Library.

Find a back-up program as graphic take a long time to modify. Please back up every time you add more photos from your digital camera, or work a
number
of hours on a specific photo. I lost a lot of photos in a Computer that grew legs and left with a roommate, and a computer fire & hard drive failure.

Do not be lulled into that idea you can replace photos – back up hourly, daily, or weekly using an routine and maybe a software product for that purpose.

Good luck, look closely at Richard Lynch’s book, and visit Janee’s website…
http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm

JR the postman
Here is the workaround for Photoshops QuickMask tool function –

Quickmask workaround for Elements
http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/elements/elemask.htm
P
pher
Mar 29, 2005
(sorry for my english, not my mother tongue) I just gave a try yesterday to Picture It Premium 10 and Digital Image Pro 10. I am an amateur photograph, and I must say that PE3 is the best of all for image quality improvement (I also used PhotoImpact 10, Paint Shop Pro 9 and even Photoshop CS, plus some others not so powerful like Photofiltre, Roxio PhotoSuite, ACD PhotoEditor, etc.). I really miss some features in PE3, such as an easy way to straighten images, or some drawings facilities such as drawing a simple arrow, or a true crop tool that would just crop. Oh I can do it, sure, but something easier would be a great plus for PE3. Where PE3 overclasses other software is in adjusting images, particularly where details are hidden in dark zones. PE3 uncovers the details, not simply lightens the dark pixels. I could recover many pictures where the grass was almost black, where city walls where so grey that one could not see the grafitti, etc. For most pictures, the quick correction mode is powerful enough to get excellent results.

pher

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:12:41 GMT, "boaz" wrote:

Hi,

I have a copy of the Picture 10 Express. (come with the Microsoft keyboard) I kinda like it. It is very fast. I like the Photo Library. However, the end result of the auto fix features is not that good IMO.
I also have a copy of PhotoShop 6.0 in my office. I’ve seen my co-worker does wonder with PS6.0. However, when I try, I have no idea what to do or how to do it. 😉 Not to mention PS6.0 takes forever to start and use alot of memory.

Any pointer?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections