DM
Posted By
Deborah_Meyer
May 17, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just finished taking a photography class. The last night of class and during the last 10 minutes he started showing us "actions" in Photoshop. I about dropped my teeth. I’m so excited to learn more. Is there a good online site for information or a book that I could buy that tells about actions, how to make them, how to use them, etc? I use Photoshop Elements 2. Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
Sorry. PSE does not support the creation of actions – that’s only available in the full PS. If someone gives you an action file, you may be able to run it in PSE, but not change it.
DM
Deborah_Meyer
May 17, 2005
Thanks for the answer. Is there somewhere that I can buy actions that I like for Elements and use them as is? Also, if I were to upgrade my Photoshop what would you suggest? I’m an amatuer photography. I started into photography 2 years ago and I’m becoming passionate about it but nevertheless still an amatuer. Thanks for your help.
CW
Colin Walls
May 17, 2005
Theer are very many sites offering actions for sale or for free – a bit of Googling will find them. You just need to be careful about whether a particular one is compatible with PSE.

You can find info on using actions with PSE here: <http://homepage.mac.com/bbrundage/FileSharing5.html>

I would doubt whether the expense and trouble of getting full PS is worth it just to get actions. It depends, I guess, on what you want to do. I too am an amateur photographer. I have been using various versions of PS for about 7 years and have rarely found a need for actions.
RG
Roger_Gidon_Whitehead
May 17, 2005
Is there somewhere that I can buy actions that I like for Elements and use them as is?

Two places I would recommend are:

– Ling’s snapActions page (http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html )

– virtualPhotographer (http://www.optikvervelabs.com/download.asp 0

Both offer free tools that you can have lots of fun with, and learn while you’re doing it. SnapActions work only with PE1 and PE2; virtualPhotographer works with PE3 as well.

In addition, you might also like to get the relevant actions for your camera from PTLens (http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html ). These do a good job of correcting lens distortions. They’re also free and will work with PE2 and PE3.

Regards,

Roger
DM
Deborah_Meyer
May 17, 2005
Wow, thanks for all the great info. Regarding the lens distortion site. I use an iMac. Will these download fine for me? Thought I’d ask before I got into trouble.
RW
Roger Whitehead
May 17, 2005
In article , wrote:
Regarding the lens distortion site. I use an iMac.

As I understand it, actions are independent of operating system but someone more expert than I might be able to give you a definitive answer. (I’m using PE under WinXP.)

Roger
RG
Roger_Gidon_Whitehead
May 17, 2005
Regarding the lens distortion site. I use an iMac.

As I understand it, actions are independent of operating system but someone more expert than I might be able to give you a definitive answer.

I’m using PE under WinXP.

Regards,

Roger
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
May 17, 2005
Deborah,

The Lens distortion is a Plug In not an action … and plugs in are usually platform dependant.

In this case it is Windows only although they say that they are working on a Mac one 🙂

Wendy
RG
Roger_Gidon_Whitehead
May 17, 2005
There you have it, Deborah. Sorry to have raised your hopes in vain.

Regards,

Roger
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 17, 2005
A great place for free actions is atncentral.com. Not allof them work in PE, but many do.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections