G
Posted By
Graham
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was surprised to find that the Adobe DNG Converter for Windows will convert DNG files to identical DNG files
e.g.,
A.NEF -> A_1.DNG -> A_1_1.DNG etc.

Ending the program leaves the folder settings unchanged, so that on startup if you click "Convert" then everything RAW in the named folder is batch converted again including the DNG files.

All of them will allow extraction of the original RAW file if that option was chosen.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
brionl
May 23, 2005
Graham wrote:

I was surprised to find that the Adobe DNG Converter for Windows will convert DNG files to identical DNG files
e.g.,

Ending the program leaves the folder settings unchanged, so that on startup if you click "Convert" then everything RAW in the named folder is batch converted again including the DNG files.

All of them will allow extraction of the original RAW file if that option was chosen.

Yeah, I found that out last week too. That should be a fairly easy fix, but I guess it’s still in trial phase anyway.
BP
Barry Pearson
May 24, 2005
Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
Graham wrote:

e.g.,

Ending the program leaves the folder settings unchanged, so that on startup if you click "Convert" then everything RAW in the named folder is batch converted again including the DNG
files.

Yeah, I found that out last week too. That should be a fairly easy
fix,
but I guess it’s still in trial phase anyway.

What is the problem with this behaviour? (As far as I know it is designed to work like this).

Although it is presumably rare that you want to run DNGs through the Converter with the same options, it becomes useful if you run them through with different options. Here are some examples:

– Change from compressed DNG to uncompressed DNG, and vice versa.

– De-mosaic a DNG file that hasn’t been de-mosaiced. (There isn’t a vice versa in this case).

– Remove an embedded original Raw file, if you want the smaller, basic, DNG.

– Embed an accompanying XMP sidecar into the resultant DNG.

The way to think about it is to remember that a DNG file is itself "simply" a Raw file.

(I’m not sure what this "trial phase" is? The DNG Converter, all versions, have behaved like this for nearly 8 months, if I remember correctly).

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/
G
Graham
May 24, 2005
"Barry Pearson" wrote in message
Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
Graham wrote:

e.g.,

Ending the program leaves the folder settings unchanged, so that on startup if you click "Convert" then everything RAW in the named folder is batch converted again including the DNG
files.

Yeah, I found that out last week too. That should be a fairly easy
fix,
but I guess it’s still in trial phase anyway.

What is the problem with this behaviour? (As far as I know it is designed to work like this).

Although it is presumably rare that you want to run DNGs through the Converter with the same options, it becomes useful if you run them through with different options. Here are some examples:

– Change from compressed DNG to uncompressed DNG, and vice versa.
– De-mosaic a DNG file that hasn’t been de-mosaiced. (There isn’t a vice versa in this case).

– Remove an embedded original Raw file, if you want the smaller, basic, DNG.

– Embed an accompanying XMP sidecar into the resultant DNG.
The way to think about it is to remember that a DNG file is itself "simply" a Raw file.

(I’m not sure what this "trial phase" is? The DNG Converter, all versions, have behaved like this for nearly 8 months, if I remember correctly).

Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

Graham
B
brionl
May 24, 2005
Barry Pearson wrote:

The "problem" is that you end up with three times as many fiiles as you should have, if you do it on accident. You have the RAW files, the DNG files from the original conversion, new DNG files from the new run, and DNG conversions of the first DNG files.

It’s not a world-destroying crisis, it’s just annoying.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections