IC
Posted By
Iain_Cochrane1946
Aug 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS2 there was an "Export Transparent Image" facility which came off HELP in the toolbar which I used frequently . . but now I have Photoshop CS3 and this facility seems to have vanished . . is it under a different heading . . help . . cocoscot

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2007
Depending on what you are trying to do, there are a few ways. You have to learn how to make an image with transparency and either Save As or Save for Web, whatever is appropriate.

See this thread:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc4bd38/1>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2007
Or…simply use your previous version, which you didn’t uninstall, right?
IC
Iain_Cochrane1946
Aug 17, 2007
Hi Ed . . . Thanks for that and yes, I do still have CS2 installed so I can get it from there but I was rather hoping CS3 would have everything CS2 had plus more . . seems they’ve decided to change direction on that one . . incidentally, I use the transparent backgrounds for printing. I know that you can accomplish the transparency using clipping paths but it was so much easier just to use the Export Transparent Image facility in CS2 . . anyway . . thanks again Ed .
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 17, 2007
Iain

Firstly, you are right about CS3 going off in different directions. And some deviations are a lot more serious for a lot of users.

Secondly, depending on the destination, there are alternatives to clipping paths to achieve transparency.
IC
Iain_Cochrane1946
Aug 17, 2007
Hi John . thanks for your note . . I require the transparencies for so that non rectangular shapes can go together without a white background interfering with the final composition . . You say there are other ways other than using clipping paths (which I find cumbersome and unwieldy) for obtaining transparencies. . oh, I need these for printing . . thanks again John . cheers
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 17, 2007
Are you printing the compositions from Photoshop or placing them in a page layout program? In Photoshop you don’t need clipping paths of course.

In other programs, some (eg InDesign) support transparency without the need for clipping paths. Others don’t
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2007
You have to understand that pretty much all Export Transparent did was make a Clipping Path from a selection. You can do the same yourself easily.

I assume you are using Quark? The alternative is a transparent tiff. If you are using InDesign, you can use a transparent psd. Clipping Paths are rapidly becoming obsolete.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections