Posted By
flovelett
Nov 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

My system is running XP64 (SP2). I have put off migrating to Vista until absolutely necessary. Should I make the switch now before even installing a trial version of CS4?

I do understand that CS4 under XP64 is unsupported, but reports of slow-downs and crashes under Vista 64 are not very reassuring either.

I will probably upgrade to CS4 for the 64 bit support, but want to make sure it is stable. I also want to make certain that I will be able to uninstall CS4 without harming my system if things go badly.

System details:

Dell Precision T7400 Quad Xeon X5460 3.16 Mhz 8 GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX1700/512

Thanks,

Felicia

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Nov 23, 2008
What do you expect to find in a support forum? Everything’s working beautifully for me with Vista Ultimate 64.

Bob
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 23, 2008
Ditto with Vista Business 64 on a T5400.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Nov 23, 2008
Ditto on Vista Ultimate 64. Get 8 gigs of ram though as it is real cheap in price and the system loves it.
C
Curvemeister
Nov 24, 2008
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 05:23:17 -0800, wrote:

Should I make the switch [to Vista 64[ before even installing a trial version of CS4?

Yes – XP 64, as you say, is not supported, and there have been problems reported. It’s been working fine for me on Vista Ultimate 64 w/nvidia 8300 graphics. 64 bits does not up performance much if at all – it’s not faster so much as able to handle larger images. YMMV – be ready to switch to a new video card if necessary.
JC
JOHN_CHOY
Nov 24, 2008
I’m on xp x64 and it’s working faultlessly.

just pay attention to switch off antivirus and firewall during installation.

Go get the PSCS4GPU_OptionalPlugins.zip that is at : < http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=40 56&fileID=3769> , then CS4 on xp64 can utilise GPU.
F
flovelett
Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for responding.

After learning that Dell won’t support Vista 64 on my system (it shipped with XP 64), I installed CS4 under XP 64.

There have been some issues with the nVidia driver, but CS4 is running fine now. (The optional GPU/OpenGL plug in was not stable on my system).

I was happy with CS4 and upgraded. The extra GB’s do seem to help when working on files with 100+ layers (very common for my work).
QP
Q_Photo
Dec 8, 2008
I love happy endings…
Q
LZ
Loretta_Zupko
Dec 8, 2008
Where did you get the 64 bit Vista? If you bought it from a store then you have support from MS.

wrote in message
Thanks for responding.

After learning that Dell won’t support Vista 64 on my system (it shipped with XP 64), I installed CS4 under XP 64.

There have been some issues with the nVidia driver, but CS4 is running fine now. (The optional GPU/OpenGL plug in was not stable on my system).
I was happy with CS4 and upgraded. The extra GB’s do seem to help when working on files with 100+ layers (very common for my work).

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections