Posted By
Ben Littlechild
Nov 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
Im new to photo manipulation and photoshop elements, and dont have a clue about layers and masks, but i have a question for those of you out there with wisdom on these matters!
I have an image of a celebrity lady that is wearing a red dress, what i woud like to do is replace all the colours in the image with black and white except the dress, very similar to the effect in the movie "schindlers list". Can anyone out there give me a step by step guide on this?

Thanks for your help

Ben

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

M
Mr3
Nov 2, 2003
Not too fancy but dead simple:
These instructions are for Photoshop, I hope you can make sense of this in Elements.

With appropriate Selection tools, select the area that you want to remain in color.
Anti-alias checkbox = yes
Feather = 3-6 pixels, you will have to experiment.
These two settings determine the smoothness of the blend between color and B and W.
Selection/Inverse
This flips the selection area from the color area to the B and W area.

Image/Adjust/Hue-Saturation; Move the saturation slider to Minus 100

Accept

Done

HTH

"Ben Littlechild" wrote in message
Hi,
Im new to photo manipulation and photoshop elements, and dont have a clue about layers and masks, but i have a question for those of you out there with wisdom on these matters!
I have an image of a celebrity lady that is wearing a red dress, what i woud like to do is replace all the colours in the image with black and white except the dress, very similar to the effect in the movie "schindlers list". Can anyone out there give me a step by step guide on this?

Thanks for your help

Ben
BL
Ben Littlechild
Nov 2, 2003
thanks i’ll give it a go

Mr3 wrote:
Not too fancy but dead simple:
These instructions are for Photoshop, I hope you can make sense of this in Elements.

With appropriate Selection tools, select the area that you want to remain in color.
Anti-alias checkbox = yes
Feather = 3-6 pixels, you will have to experiment.
These two settings determine the smoothness of the blend between color and B and W.
Selection/Inverse
This flips the selection area from the color area to the B and W area.
Image/Adjust/Hue-Saturation; Move the saturation slider to Minus 100
Accept

Done

HTH

"Ben Littlechild" wrote in message

Hi,

Thanks for your help

Ben

J
James
Nov 3, 2003
Another way is to use the magic wand..select the area you want to keep …select inverse then change the mode to black and white.

1. Hold the shift key whi8le selecting your area to add your entire area you desire to remain the same.
2. Now copy your selection (ctrl+c)
3. ok ..now heres a cool little trick.. creat a new layer then hold the alt key then take your mouse up to layer/merge visable. then release the mouse. This will merge all your alyers without erasing the previous layers ..which usually happens.
4. Go to image/mode/greyscale
5. Change your image back to image/mode/rgb
6. Paste in your previous selection (ctrl+v) This way yuou can tweak your removed "parts" to either darken them or make them have more contrast.

😀
JAMES
T
thebookdoc
Nov 8, 2003
You can add a lot of functionality to Elements with the tools found free here, including layer masks — which are not in standard Elements:

http://hiddenelements.com

The tools included with the book (not in the free set) add lots of other things not in Elements, like Curves, CMYK, channels, etc.

Richard Lynch
http://hiddenelements.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections