scaling to fit media - printing

Search   Help    Register    Login   Home
Tue, 04 October 2005 07:47 Go to next message
RBB (Photoshop expert)
Hello,

i am printing normally a4 and a3, and when doing so, i make
an a3 size for a3, and a4 for a4.

But i see the option in the preview window that you can scale,
thats very confortable because i just make an a3 or a4, and i can print
both sizes with just one click.

The cuestion is: is this the same as to give to the printer the right size?
do i am loosing quality by scaling?? i am not sure about it.

i make the files at 300ppi, when scaling, is this still the same?
is scaling the same as resizing in photoshop??

thanks
richard

--
http://www.telefonica.net/web2/burch
Tue, 04 October 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tacit[1] (Photoshop expert)
In article <43426adf_1@x-privat.org>, "RBB" <topsecret@yahooks.com>
wrote:

> i make the files at 300ppi, when scaling, is this still the same?

No. Scaling simply increases or decreases the resolution. If you scale
up, the image resolution goes down; if you scale down, resolution goes
up. No resampling involved.

--
Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Tue, 04 October 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RBB (Photoshop expert)
thanks,
so then is always much better quality to resize bicubic right?
scaling diminish the ppi



"tacit" <tacitr@aol.com> escribió en el mensaje news:tacitr-B30330.11445504102005@news-server2.tampabay.rr.com...
> In article <43426adf_1@x-privat.org>, "RBB" <topsecret@yahooks.com>
> wrote:
>
>> i make the files at 300ppi, when scaling, is this still the same?
>
> No. Scaling simply increases or decreases the resolution. If you scale
> up, the image resolution goes down; if you scale down, resolution goes
> up. No resampling involved.
>
> --
> Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
> all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Tue, 04 October 2005 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bart van der Wolf (Photoshop expert)
"RBB" <topsecret@yahooks.com> wrote in message
news:4342cf25_1@x-privat.org...
> thanks,
> so then is always much better quality to resize bicubic right?

Yes, if only because it'll allow to sharpen after resampling.

Bart
Tue, 04 October 2005 23:05 Go to previous message
Tacit[1] (Photoshop expert)
In article <4342cf25_1@x-privat.org>, "RBB" <topsecret@yahooks.com>
wrote:

> thanks,
> so then is always much better quality to resize bicubic right?
> scaling diminish the ppi

Scaling up is always going to reduce the quality of the image no matter
how it's done; it's unlikely that you will see any improvement between
scaling up and simply allowing the printer to enlarge the image.

You may see an improvement if you scale down rather than allowing the
printer to reduce the image in size, though such an improvement will
likely be quite subtle.

--
Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink:
all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: elements 3 help
Goto Forum:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop techniques & help
Photoshop for Windows
Photoshop for Mac
Technical questions

Photoshop Elements

Adobe Photoshop Elements