Z
Posted By
Zod
Aug 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to set up an action that I will use to batch convert 1200 files from TIFF to JPEG w/ the following parameters:

1. Max dimension = 550
2. Max Depth = 72ppi
3. Perform a Save As… -> JPEG to retain the original TIFF file.

Can someone solve these questions:

1. How do I create an action that will change the max dimension of an image to 550, _regardless_ of whether the longest dimension is horizontal or vertical? In tests so far, only the specific field that I change to 550 is changed in an action.

2. How do I get the Save As… function within an action to save the file as a JPEG simply as the file name + .jpg w/in the folder that that file is opened. That is, if I create the save as action w/in my test folder, then try to apply that action to a file in a different folder, the file in the different folder seems to be renamed to the foldername.jpg.

Thanks, -Barry

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
nomail
Aug 25, 2005
Zod wrote:

I am trying to set up an action that I will use to batch convert 1200 files from TIFF to JPEG w/ the following parameters:

1. Max dimension = 550
2. Max Depth = 72ppi

1. How do I create an action that will change the max dimension of an image to 550, _regardless_ of whether the longest dimension is horizontal or vertical? In tests so far, only the specific field that I change to 550 is changed in an action.

Use ‘Fit Image’ and fill in 500 pixels for both sides.

2. How do I get the Save As… function within an action to save the file as a JPEG simply as the file name + .jpg w/in the folder that that file is opened. That is, if I create the save as action w/in my test folder, then try to apply that action to a file in a different folder, the file in the different folder seems to be renamed to the foldername.jpg.

Use ‘Automate – Batch’ to run this action and choose your destination folder there. Check ‘Override Save As Commands’.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
B
Bj
Aug 25, 2005
Jobs like this are easier to do with the program IrfanView (site: www.irfanview.com). I use PS CS for complex actions, but for easy jobs like this I think Irfan View is a better choice.

Bj
K
KatWoman
Aug 25, 2005
"Johan W. Elzenga" wrote in message
Zod wrote:

1. Max dimension = 550
2. Max Depth = 72ppi

Use ‘Fit Image’ and fill in 500 pixels for both sides.

Use ‘Automate – Batch’ to run this action and choose your destination folder there. Check ‘Override Save As Commands’.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

I suggest using "save for web" instead of save as in the batch palette you can make the naming any way you like, fill in the boxes
for example:

mytopic+2digit serial # + extension
make sure the last thing you select is extension
CR
Carol Roman
Aug 31, 2005
I just tried converting psd files to jpegs with irfanview, I have 220 of them. It changed all images to 72 dpi. I wanted size to be exactly as I have it. I looked in the options and have unchecked all the resizing checkboxes. Maybe someone knows what I’m doing wrong. Thanks

Carolro
remove xxx to reply

Björn Hein wrote:
Jobs like this are easier to do with the program IrfanView (site: www.irfanview.com). I use PS CS for complex actions, but for easy jobs like this I think Irfan View is a better choice.

Björ Hein
R
RSD99
Aug 31, 2005
"" wrote in message
I just tried converting psd files to jpegs with irfanview, I have 220 of them. It changed all images to 72 dpi. I wanted size to be exactly as I have it. I looked in the options and have unchecked all the resizing checkboxes. Maybe someone knows what I’m doing wrong. Thanks

Carolro
remove xxx to reply

First:
The JPEG file format does *not* retain the resolution information.

Second:
PhotoShop, and most other programs, *assume* a resolution of 72 dpi for files with unknown (print) resolution … such as JPEG, GIF, and a few others.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections