BJ
Posted By
bj_Janapolis
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Do actions created for Photoshop work in Elements? If I download filters & actions, can I install & use them in Elements?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jul 2, 2004
Did you run a search on this forum? Did you read the previous thread on this subject? It got covered several times before…

Ray
SL
Sondra_Lowell
Jul 5, 2004
From a message on this forum I found: <http://hiddenelements.com/freetools.html>
PC
Pat_Coggin
Jul 5, 2004
For a recent thread on this subject, try searching the forum using PSE and actions. This may help.
JR
John_R._Collins
Jul 5, 2004
Hi BJ,

The short answer to your question is no. The long answer is yes (with qualifications).

The first way to get SOME actions to work is to use Richard Lynch’s Hidden Power for Elements tools (www.hiddenelements.com). The second method is to use the actions found at: <http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/PE2stuff2.html> along with the program found there called snapactions.exe.
There are some great action effects found at these two sites. As PE2 cannot do actions on its own, any of the "actions" you download from the second site contain the .atn file as well as a mini-executable (.xml) file which commands PE2 to follow the set of instructions for the action/effect. This last statement isn’t exactly correct as snapactions has its effect on the process.
The only such actions that work in elements are those that contain commands that the elements program contains.

After you have installed snapactions.exe, follow the action installation directions carefully and enjoy.

John
RL
Richard_Lynch
Jul 5, 2004
This isn’t quite right.

Any action created for Photoshop can be modified to work in Elements–it is usually just a matter of adjusting the recording. I have offered in the past to make conversions. If you want to do it yourself, locate a copy of the Photoshop 6 demo. While the program doesn’t allow file saves, it DOES allow you to save actions.

Everything snapactions runs can be run with Hidden Power Actions III (well, or 2 or 1 for that matter). In fact, I was working with Ling when she decided to ‘borrow’ the idea and release her own product–which regretfully has caused a lot of unnecessary confusion. Though either tool can run actions, my free effects and additional tools will not be found in snapactions.

Actions can also be run through the Effects menu without either product.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections