Posted By
Paul Skelcher
Jan 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,
First, a thank you to the group. A relatively inexperienced PS user, I don’t have much to contribute, but am learning a lot.

As a stock photographer shooting 50-100asa slide film, I am looking to produce acceptable 50mb digital images for my agencies rather than submitting slides. Currently I am scanning with a 5400 Minolta. PSCS editing involves a simple workflow of, at the most, straighten, crop, Shadow/Highlight, curves, touch up, dash of USM to compensate for Digital ICE, downsize, keyword, done. Five to ten minutes per image is as much time as I want to invest.
My question is, as my goal now is a clean digital image, are there are any advantages to shooting print film? Print film negs being cheaper, quicker, and easier to develop than mounted slides.

The main scanning problem seem to relate to film flatness, individual slides sit tighter than a strip of negatives. But how about Photoshop? Are there any major differences between slide and print film in terms of, for example, contrast and color management control within Photoshop? If so, are any print films particularly recommended for scanning/Photoshop?

Thank you,
Paul.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

T
toby
Jan 20, 2006
Paul Skelcher wrote:
Hi everyone,
First, a thank you to the group. A relatively inexperienced PS user, I don’t have much to contribute, but am learning a lot.

As a stock photographer shooting 50-100asa slide film, I am looking to produce acceptable 50mb digital images for my agencies rather than submitting slides. Currently I am scanning with a 5400 Minolta. PSCS editing involves a simple workflow of, at the most, straighten, crop, Shadow/Highlight, curves, touch up, dash of USM to compensate for Digital ICE, downsize, keyword, done. Five to ten minutes per image is as much time as I want to invest.
My question is, as my goal now is a clean digital image, are there are any advantages to shooting print film? Print film negs being cheaper, quicker, and easier to develop than mounted slides.

In general, if you care about colour, I would definitely stick with transparencies. The overriding advantage is, they are already true and correct colour, and don’t need any tricky inversion (you will be lucky to find inversions that are so perfect, although printing and then scanning will restore some predictability). Also I find print film noticeably grainier for the same ASA.

But to give the question a proper airing, I suggest doing some back-to-back tests. That should answer all your concerns.

–T

The main scanning problem seem to relate to film flatness, individual slides sit tighter than a strip of negatives. But how about Photoshop? Are there any major differences between slide and print film in terms of, for example, contrast and color management control within Photoshop? If so, are any print films particularly recommended for scanning/Photoshop?
Thank you,
Paul.
J
jaSPAMc
Jan 20, 2006
On 19 Jan 2006 20:16:36 -0800, "toby" found these unused words floating about:

Paul Skelcher wrote:
Hi everyone,

In general, if you care about colour, I would definitely stick with transparencies. The overriding advantage is, they are already true and correct colour,

Huh? When did you last shoot three or four different brands and compare colourimetry? Every film maker has a different colour spectum and balance!

and don’t need any tricky inversion (you will be lucky
to find inversions that are so perfect, although printing and then scanning will restore some predictability). Also I find print film noticeably grainier for the same ASA.

But to give the question a proper airing, I suggest doing some back-to-back tests. That should answer all your concerns.
Thank you,
Paul.

The -real- query should be … "What film brand and type will work best with my input (scanner) device/method?

Photoshop won’t care IF you’ve a good transfer. If not, then you’ll have to work up a profile and make adjustments from there.
N
noone
Jan 20, 2006
In article <ygWzf.2512$>,
says…
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
Paul.

In very general terms, transparencies will yield better highlight detail, while negative film will yield better shadow detail – all other things being equal. How much better each will be in their respective capture capabilities will rely solely on the exposure the film is given. If I have a scene with a lot do detail in the shadow area, that I wish to capture, and I have the capabilities while shooting, I’ll load neg film, otherwise, a bracket and maybe a HDR blend would work.

I’d opt for one film, with which I was very comfortable, both in mfgr. and in the processing and shoot that.

Hunt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections