Posted By
johnnyivan
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This seems ridiculous:
No transparent colour eyedropper in Photoshop 6 for GIF export? So I really have to remove part of the image in the actual documentto make an area transparent first?

I don’t want to permanently erase bits of the images in the document yet. Is it possible to apply a mask to certain layers so that anything outside of that is transparent – then export the gif?
Thanks
John

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
Aug 4, 2004
In 6, Yes. In later versions you can drag any colour in the colour palette to a transparency icon when in Save for Web
J
johnnyivan
Aug 5, 2004
Oh God. Thanks Len.
As I was saying: I don’t want to permanently erase bits of the images in the document yet. Is it possible to apply one mask to EVERY other layer so that anything outside of that is transparent – when I export the gif? A sort of clipping path applied to all layers I suppose.
Thanks!
John
J
johnnyivan
Aug 5, 2004
Hi,
I managed it!
I put a raster shape at the bottom of the layer stack, which can act as the mask [it’s like the inner area of the window that the images are seen through, with the outer part transparent/clipped].

Then I linked all the layers and went Layer > Group Linked.

Voila – all images above the shape are clipped. When I go ‘File > Save for Web’ and select Gif and Transparent, the outer area is indeed transparent and it works. It’s a pain in the arse to do but the upside is that not all of a particular colour in the image turns transparent which can be a nuisance if you have a large watermark type logo in the background on the webpage.
Cheerio!
L
LenHewitt
Aug 5, 2004
I suspect you could also duplicate the layer, delete the b/g content and use S4W with only that duplicate layer visible…but as 6 is long-gone I can’t check that that works, Johnny
J
johnnyivan
Aug 5, 2004
Hi Johnny,
I’m sure that would work alright. It doubles up on the layers but it’s a good solution – which strangely enough I never thought of! Ha ha!

I suppose the client who goes on to work with it should be well able to, Duplicate Layer, Load Selection, delete and export!

Thanks, see you
John
Aug 5, 2004
What’s going on with post #5?

Is somebody talking to theirself (themselves?)??
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 5, 2004
What’s going on with post #5?

Maybe it’s phishing!
J
johnnyivan
Aug 6, 2004
I don’t know, maybe it was censored? There were a few messages from people other than me yesterday
Aug 6, 2004
Phishing: No.

Fishy: Yes.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections