GR
Posted By
George Rifkin
Jul 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a Canon S400. Pictures are saved as JPEG images, with a file size (that I read somewhere) of about 2 MB, depending upon the actual subject.

When I download to PSE2, it is saved as a 20 MB file approximately.

Can anyone explain what is happening ?

Thanks

George

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
brent bertram
Jul 2, 2003
George,
JPG is a compressed format. Perhaps you are confusing the file size on the disk of a JPG image ( 2 MB ) with the actual memory size of the image once it is "uncompressed" into Elements . The actual size of an RGB image in Elements is the product of the pixel dimensions ( 3719 x 3688, for example ) , times 3 ( for 3 bytes, 8 bits of data for Red, Green, And Blue ) . My image is 39.2 MB, but would be different sizes saved on the disk drive, depending upon which compression options I selected for my JPG save .

Hope this helps

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections