A
Posted By
auskan2002
Jul 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had Photoshop 6.0 which is for professional users, and couldn’t ever figure out how to do anything in it. Someone told me that Photoshop Elements has the best features of the professional version but is "easy" to use. Well, I have just installed it, and frankly, I can’t see what the difference is – its just as hard to use. Its seems everything uses a the layer palette, but I can’t find that anywhere. I’ve looked at all the tutorials, but none of them explain where to find this layer palette – they show pictures of it, which look like nothing on my screen. I’ve looked at all the menu choices and a description of every button on my screen, but none brings up this magical layer palette. Can anyone tell me where to find this thing?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JA
JoAnn Amerson
Jul 18, 2003
Heather –

Be kind to yourself and pick up a "How to" book. I now have two of them – both are helpful. The SAMS "Learn Photoshop Elements in 24 Hours" is a better book overall but the Que "How to Use Photoshop elements 2" has some neat things in it too.
A
auskan2002
Jul 18, 2003
Pete,
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I’ve already done all of this and it doesn’t help with my initial question – where is the layers palette? I’ve done the tutorial, but all it does is talk about what you can do with the layers palette, and since I can’t find the layers palette, I can’t do any of the things it suggests. I have a photo open and can’t do anything with it, because I can’t find the layers palette. By the way, I do understand the concept of "layers". Can you please just tell me where to find the layers palette?
JF
Jodi Frye
Jul 18, 2003
Heather, layers pallette can be found >toolbar>window>click’layers’. The palette will then pop up on your screen. Dock it in the upper right corner of your screen. You can open and close it by double clicking on the blue bar.
KW
Kyle White
Jul 18, 2003
Also, from the menu bar, under "Window", make sure that "Tools", "Shortcuts" and "Options" all have tick marks beside them.

The Palette Well is included in "Options"

This will bring all the "ready use" tools to hand, where you can see ’em and play with ’em.

Kyle
PD
Pete D
Jul 18, 2003
Heather,

Sorry. Thought maybe you would have found it by the time I wrote that.

The layers palette… Look at the top right side of your screen. You will see file folder tabs with different names on them; filter effects,, effects, layer styles, LAYERS. You may have to move the cursor back and forth slowly over the tabs to expose the Layers tab. When you find it, click on the tab and hol, then drag it down on to your workspace below. Now it will not be hidden from view.

Hope this helps. post again if you need more.

Pete
TB
Terry Boyles
Jul 18, 2003
Heather,

Hang in there kid. It wasn’t that long ago that many of us were at the same stage you are now. There is a slight learning cruve to using this program succusfully. But the learning is both fun and rewarding. I have progressed a bit, I think since I first came to this forum. There is wealth of information and a common bond of friendliness that can be found here.

Terry
MM
Michael Moody
Jul 18, 2003
Please see the thread below from Al Millstein. The pallette arrangement is a pain, but can be "fixed".

"Heather X. Smith" wrote in message
I had Photoshop 6.0 which is for professional users, and couldn’t ever
figure out how to do anything in it. Someone told me that Photoshop Elements has the best features of the professional version but is "easy" to use. Well, I have just installed it, and frankly, I can’t see what the difference is – its just as hard to use. Its seems everything uses a the layer palette, but I can’t find that anywhere. I’ve looked at all the tutorials, but none of them explain where to find this layer palette – they show pictures of it, which look like nothing on my screen. I’ve looked at all the menu choices and a description of every button on my screen, but none brings up this magical layer palette. Can anyone tell me where to find this thing?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections