RP
Posted By
Roy P Purtell
Jul 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to print a true 4 X 6 image. No matter what size I make the image. It just won’t let me print a true borderless image. I read on here where borderless printing isn’t possible, without fooling the program. That I can live with. However, I can’t get the image more then 3.75 X 5.25.
Can anyone help !!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ray
Jul 21, 2003
Roy, what kind of printer do you have ? Brand / model.. ?

Ray
EF
Edward Fritzen
Jul 23, 2003
Hi Roy,
I use OS X 10.2.6 and an Epson Stylus Photo 890. There have been many posts at the Apple Forums regarding the limitations of the print drivers for Epson Printers under OS X. Some of the drivers have been updated to include full funtionality and others have not. Make sure you have the latest driver for your printer. In my case, the 890 still doesn’t support borderless printing, although I can print borderless under OS 9.2. I usually print multiple 4X6 prints on letter size photo paper and trim with scissors or a paper cutter. According to versiontracker.com, the latest print driver for the Epson SP 825 is ver. 1.5aA, with a posting date of 4/2/2003. You can download the driver from the Epson web site. I hope this helps and doesn’t tell you things you already know.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 23, 2003
Roy, I don’t understand what you mean by ‘flattened’…? And what constraints are you talking about?

Chuck
EF
Edward Fritzen
Jul 23, 2003
Hi Roy,
That makes sense to me. When printing directly from the printer, without using a connected PC/Mac, the printer itself is controlling the output. When printing from any application running on your Mac, the printer is being controlled by the print drivers loaded on your Mac. It’s these drivers that don’t always offer full functionality under OS X. So eventhough you properly size a picture in Elements 2, the print driver is limiting the output and not allowing you to print a true borderless print. If however you do have the latest print drivers installed for the 825, check the print dialog boxes that appear when you send a job to print and make sure you have the correct paper chosen etc,etc. There might be an option in there that needs to be selected for borderless. Am I confusing matters more? Good luck!!
S
smithsc
Jul 24, 2003
Roy,

Your camera’s output is not exactly proportioned for a 4×6 (or an 8×10 or 5×7, for that matter.) You need to crop the picture using the crop tool or the rectangular marquee to the size you are trying to print. Then you should be able to get a properly sized print.

My wife and I struggled with this until we began using a one step program that auto-cropped from the center of the photo (like the printer probably does.)

Search the threads for crop and print for many more opinions on how this is best done.

Steve
RP
Roy P Purtell
Jul 24, 2003
Ok, I understand that the photo needs to be cropped or resized. But to what size should the image be for me to get a 4×6 printed image.
No matter what size I set the image to.. it still doesn’t make it 6" wide.

As previously posted " I can’t get the image more then 3.75 X 5.25"
CS
Chuck Snyder
Jul 24, 2003
Pete, that’s certainly possible, although if you Zoom out you should be able to see that white border with gray around it on the desktop – at least in Windows.

Chuck
PD
Pete D
Jul 24, 2003
Chuck

That probably was not the case anyway especially if the image was cropped.

(at least in Windows? ….don’t start nuttin Chuck..ha ha:)

Pete
RP
Roy P Purtell
Jul 25, 2003
Here is some figures,, maybe you can get something from this to help me. Start with a image in PE,,it says the image size is 4×6". I go to page setup,,set it up to print to Epson 825 on 4×6" (no perferations) paper. I then close that, go to print. I get a note that says the image is larger then the paper, some cropping will take place. I print it anyway. The image prints out as a 2"H x 2 15/16"W

Here are the size dimensions of the image that I printed. Pixel Dimensions–6.18M
Width 1800 pixel
Height 1200 Pixel

Doc Size:
Width 6"
Height 4"
Resolution 300

What am I doing wrong???
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 25, 2003
OK, Roy, don’t do anything until I get some feedback on what I’m getting ready to post!

Other PSE gurus: It really does look like Roy has all of the settings correct. Once he leaves Print Preview, though, don’t the printer settings "take over" and finish the printing job? I just looked in the System folder of my computer and see that there are Preference folders for the printers I have installed. Is it possible it’s the printer preference that’s corrupted and causing his printing problems? I’m not about to suggest he trash those until somebody else responds. (Although it’s something I’d be gutsy enough to try, just to see if it made a difference.)

By the way, Roy, have you tried deleting the Elements Preference folder? Personally it seems what you’re getting from PSE is OK, but the information just simply isn’t being transferred properly to the printer. Just for sport, why don’t you trash them and see if anything changes. At least that will be eliminated as a possible problem. To do that: With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down until you get a screen asking if you want to delete the Settings. Say Yes. You will lose any settings you’ve customized in Elements, but those are pretty easy to reset.
NS
Nancy S
Jul 25, 2003
Roy,

Just a thought…

Your printout measures almost exactly 50% of your expected size. Perhaps you have the reduce/enlarge box ticked? After clicking on ‘Print’, click on ‘Preferences’ button and look at settings there. Make sure the box for ‘Reduce/Enlarge'(behind ‘Layout’ tab) is NOT ticked.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections