CH
Posted By
Chuck_Hemard
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am new to this forum. I work on files (drum scanned large format photographs) that are 800mb and 1.5gb after some adjustment layers are added. I have a Quicksilver 2001 733 G4, with 1.12 gb ram. I am running OS 10.2 and Photoshop 7. I just got savvy to the notion of adding a second hard disk for scratch disk space. i usually have the files on an external firewire 80gig and also set it as the scratch, with the OS and apps on a 40gig OEM drive. I just purchased a 120gig internal drive (8mb cache) and an ATA/133 PCI controller card (non RAID). I was wanting to know the best way to set this system up to work on these large files for optimizing performance.
I would like advice on partitioning the drives for OS/apps; scratch space; data (PS files and all other ‘work’ data from other apps; and possibly back up (with the firewire drive?)

I know its probably not ideal to work on such large files without a system that can handle more ram, but it is what i have… i do have patients.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SP
steve_peters
Feb 18, 2004
You need to have a fast scratch disk. The fastest being RAID O. Here is a link that will show the difference using a RAID for scratch:http://www.barefeats.com/scratch.html. The fastes and most expensive is scsi, then SATA, then firewire 800, then ATA. Here is a link on RAID: <http://forums.macgurus.com/6/ubb.x>. I typically work on file that lage to. I went with 4 drive scsi raid. I bought everything used, and spent around $800, which is cheap for what I have.
CH
Chuck_Hemard
Feb 18, 2004
Unfortunately, I don’t have the money for any more additions at this time. I was more curious about how to partition my new 120gig drive to have enough scratch space. Could I keep these large image files and other non Photoshop work data files (video media files, doc, etc.) on a separate partition of the same drive? I would like to use the Firewire for back up of finished work and move some large Video media files to the 120 gig.
Also, how much ram to I devote to PS 7 for such large files?

Any help is appreciated.

Chuck
SP
steve_peters
Feb 19, 2004
You can partition that drive into 2 partitions. Have one that is maybe 20gig for scratch an the other 100 for files. You really don’t need more than 20 for scratch if you largfest files are under 1gig. You really should have a dedicated drive for scratch though. I would do a search on "partitions" here and in the macgurus site. I am not sure that you will get that much of a benefit for making a partiton, when it comes to speed for scratch disk. I always though you did, but I swear I read somewhere that it does not do any good for scratch. Maybe you could by another small ata drive, for maybe $80.
R
Ram
Feb 19, 2004
Partitioning the boot drive and assigning the Scratch Disk to one of the partitions does not help because you still have only one set of read/write heads. A separate, dedicated drive speeds things up substantially.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections