Mark_Castleberry
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7.0.1
G4 running OSX

I’m having trouble assigning new keyboard shortcuts to an action. The action works fine as long as you don’t try to use a keyboard shortcut. It is using default shortcut settings instead of the new ones I created, even though the defaults are no longer in the actions list.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Any help is appreciated – Mark

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 2, 2004
Mark:

As a matter of fact I have seen a couple similar problems reported, but no definite solution, one of which was "It started working, but I don’t know why." Not exactly useful.

Did you try putting your Actions Palette in ‘Button Mode’ (a choice from the AP menu). This will list all your actions and any shortcuts assigned to them. Maybe you’ll spot something suspicious.

RE: The action works fine as long as you don’t try to use a keyboard shortcut. By this you mean if you click PLAY, it works, right?

RE: It is using default shortcut settings instead of the new ones I created, even though the defaults are no longer in the actions list.

This isn’t sinking in… Do you mean if you assigned the action to, say, F10, you press F10 and something else happens? Or you assigned the action to F10, but F4 plays the action. Help me out here. Maybe we can get this sorted out.

~Danny~
RW
Rene_Walling
Mar 2, 2004
Wild shot in the Dark:

In OS9 you had to disabe the "hot function keys" option in the keyboard control panel, could a similar setting in OSX be the cause of the trouble?
MC
Mark_Castleberry
Mar 4, 2004
Hi Danny and Rene,
Thanks for the responses…

Danny,

If I click play the action works – but pressing the keyboard command for the same action results in no action at all.
New discovery – it’s only F13, F14, and F15 that are experiencing this problem. However F1 which is not assigned to anything will flatten the image, and several of the other F keys toggle various pallettes.

I tried Button Mode – Nothing unusual there.

Rene,

I remember that about OS9 too. I will look into it and post any results.

Thanks – Mark
MC
Mark_Castleberry
Mar 4, 2004
Rene,

after investigating your suggestion I found that my actions will work as long as you press the CONTROL key along with them.

I have no idea why this would be. CONTROL isn’t even an option for creating actions as far as I can tell.

And only F14 and F15 are like this. The other keyboard commands function properly without the CONTROL key.

???
MS
Merrily_Schmid
Mar 4, 2004
Mark, I am having a similar problem, only in regards to the F-9, F-10 and F-11 keys. Your solution to hold the Control key down while pressing the F-keys in question also worked in my case. When I first assigned F-keys, I did originally assign F-14, 15 and 16 and those did not hold the actions I assigned either. Rather than fight the issue at that point, I just didn’t assign them again. It wasn’t until a couple days later that I discovered the other keys didn’t work as they should either.

I see you are running Photoshop 7.0.1, I am now on Photoshop CS and never had this problem in PS 7. What OS are you running? I’m on 10.3.2. Could this somehow be linked to Panther?

Merrily
DR
Danny_Raphael
Mar 5, 2004
Very interesting convergence of problems, brainstorming, and trouble-shooting.

Being a non-Mac guy, I’ll drift to the background and watch with interest as you guys sort it out (once and for all). At least this behavior is isolated to Macs and with Merrily’s observations/tests, perhaps to OSX.

Hang in there.

~Danny~
MC
Mark_Castleberry
Mar 5, 2004
Merrily,

I am running 10.2.8 – Jag

I just upgraded from OS9 last week at work, so I’m a little lost right now. We are on the "Hand-Me-Down" sytem.

I guess I’ll just have to learn to use the CONTROL key more often. It’s not so bad though, as Illustrator requires that key quite a bit too.

As for our problem – ??? I am terribly vexed.

-Mark
MS
Merrily_Schmid
Mar 5, 2004
Mark,

Thanks to Chip, who responded to my other post, I was able to solve the mystery on my machine. He said Expose was hijacking our F-keys. I opened System Prefs > Expose and sure enough, my F9, F10 and F11 keys were all assigned different tasks. I reassigned those tasks to the right cmd, opt and ctrl keys (since those are the ones I use the least) and now my F-Key actions in Photoshop work again.

Check out your Expose settings and hopefully you’ll find your answer too.

Merrily
MC
Mark_Castleberry
Mar 5, 2004
Hmmm,
I don’t have Expose, but maybe there is another program doing the same thing to my F14 and F15 keys.

Thanks – Mark

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections