M
Posted By
morrisoncorp
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Picked up G4 lap top 1.25, 512K L2 cache, 512 ram, 40gb hd What are the best choices for ram and hard drive upgrades and from where? Any suggestions? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
CygnusX1
Apr 15, 2004
I wouldn’t touch the internal drive, just get a portable external or any external like LaCie etc. The only thing that needs upgrade is Ram and you can get that from www.macsales.com (OWC), Ramjet, crucial, .

Sounds like you got the 15" G4 , and the 1.25 has an 80gig drive so you have enough room. Just get at least one 1gig sodim to replace one of the 256MB dims
or get two 512sodims to replace the two 256MB ones in the G4, or even better just get two (2) 1gig dims and you will have max ram of 2gigs !
R
Rick
Apr 15, 2004
In article ,
wrote:

Picked up G4 lap top 1.25, 512K L2 cache, 512 ram, 40gb hd What are the best choices for ram and hard drive upgrades and from where? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Try Other World Computing, http://www.

They’ve always done well by me. Or try your luck on Ebay.
M
morrisoncorp
Apr 16, 2004
Yes its a 15"G4 w/80gig hd. Thanks
I plan to max out the ram to optimize Photoshop performance.

Sorry I wasn’t clear in asking if one manufacturer’s ram performed better or worse than others. I seem to remember a thread a few months back that discussed this but was unable to find it.

Also, would partitioning the hard drive for a scratch disk help PS performance?
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 16, 2004
Since it is the same drive you’ll be using the same R/W heads therefore partitioning will have little or no effect on performance. You really should consider an external FireWire drive for scratch purposes.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections