KP
Posted By
Kristina_Pruitt
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Apparently, it is possible to change any scanned image into a blueline (you know…the blue outline that doesn’t scan or copy) in PS 7. I have not been able to figure this out. Can someone please help me out? I’m working on a comic book and if this works, it will make my life a lot easier.

K-

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
If you just convert from RGB to Indexed Color using the right shade of blue that would probably do it.

Make a custom swatch palette with your chosen shade of blue graduating to white and save it in your Presets as "Non-repro. Blues".

Then, when you do the conversion, choose "Custom" and load your saved "Non-repro. Blues" palette.
J
jonf
Jun 7, 2004
Ann’s suggestion is probably much more efficient than mine, but the way I’ve done this is as follows:

Convert to grayscale
Convert back to cmyk (or rgb)
Add 2 layers above your artwork, both filled with the blue color. Set one of the color layers to "color"
Set the other color layer to "lighten"
BG
barry_gray
Jun 7, 2004
Wouldn’t a gradient map adjustment layer work as well and be a lot faster? No conversions just use your rgb image, pick the blue you want for shadow -done.
KP
Kristina_Pruitt
Jun 7, 2004
I appreciate the ideas, I will try them all and let you know what the results are.

thank you very much,

Kristina
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
The Gradient Map way would leave color in all channels while the Indexed Color method makes a single one-color channel which can easily be used to make a Spot channel in an otherwise empty CMYK file.

If this is line-art, the indexed Color route might be better but it depends on how Kristina wants to use it.
BG
barry_gray
Jun 7, 2004
Ann,
Would that be true for grey scale? Or Adj. layer desat. then map.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 7, 2004
There’s a lot of ways to do this, but I have to ask, how is it being printed? I know some people who use Kinkos (I think) and it’s simply a matter of giving them a B&W document and telling them to copy it in non-photo blue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 7, 2004
Gray scale makes a single channel with no color content so a gradient map just maps in shades of gray. The single channel could be pasted into an empty CMYK file for use as a spot color channel.

Basically, anything that you do in the layers palette, whether with Effects or Adjustment Layers, throws information into all of the RGB or CMYK channels.
BG
barry_gray
Jun 7, 2004
Okay. got it, Just went back and tried all the options-it finally soaked in.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections