MP
Posted By
Michael_P._Carter
Jan 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have searched the forum in several areas and have found no help. I am trying to use red eye correction and seem to get no change or very light change. Microsoft’s correction works simply and successfully. I keep both on hand because I like some elements of PS Elements. Can someone help with a "how to get red eye to actually darken the red"? (I have been using the brush tool and just coloring in but it is tedious and I was hoping red eye might be easier) Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 3, 2004
The red eye correction tool in Elements has got to be its biggest flop. 🙁 Did you see this post? Several people weighed in with their techniques for correction, including one using a selection and adjusting hue and saturation. The other issue is the degree of red eye found in various photographs. Some are definitely more challenging than others, so sometimes one method gets better results than another. We can hope Adobe improves this function in the future, but …

Chuck Snyder "Red eye tool doesn’t always give good results" 12/25/03 5:46pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 3, 2004
Michael

I find that the red eye removal is a bit of a pain so I use a more classical and what I think is a more flexible approach.

1). Select they eyes using on of the select tools and a very mild feathering (1 or 2 )
2). Next I would create a layer of the eyes. (Although
that is not strictly necessary)
3). Enhance>Adjust Color>Hue/Saturation
4). Select the Red channel and then reduce saturation.
5). After you have removed the red you can also fine tune it by using the lightness slider.

With a bit of experimentation you can do all sorts of stuff … like fine tuning a pair of baby blue or even turning them into a sultry green.

Grant
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 3, 2004
like fine tuning a pair of baby blue or even turning them into a sultry green

Grant,
LOL! Sultry green eyes, huh? I always thought DARK eyes were considered sultry…<still laughing>
Bert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 3, 2004
Sultry and colour …hmmm. I suspect my answer would be different if I were talking about your eyes or those of the fine ladies in this news group.

g.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 3, 2004
I suspect my answer would be different if I were talking about your eyes or those of the fine ladies in this news group.

I sure hope so! But, I do have a beautiful set of baby blues…only slightly red-tinged from holiday overindulgence…
Bert
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 3, 2004
Michael,

I’ve had good results using the method described by Grant. If the whites are too pinkish, I fine-tune it by selecting the whites of the eys and lighten the red and perhaps add a touch of vey pale blue. Works for me.

Shan

EDIT:- do not remove all the pink tint in the whites of the eyes though. Otherwise the eyeballs tend to look like porcelin, especially when there are reflections present. 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 4, 2004
This eye information is getting to be a ‘family’ thing here, first Ray, then Jane, and now Michael Carter; we are well represented here.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/20293654>
But with the red eye problem, sometimes using the burn tool very lightly gets good results. There are so many ways to work on the eyes with PSE.
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 4, 2004
The pet eye problem can be severe. I took some photos of my daughter’s Lab that had completely blown-out pupils; when that happens, the burn tool is ineffective because there is nothing present in the blown-out area to burn. I had some modest success using a circular gradient to close up most of the pupil, but it wasn’t totally natural-looking; maybe if I created my own gradient I could make it more believable. Next time I’ll use available light!
JR
john_R_daniell
Jan 4, 2004
I see some people are having problems with removing red eye. Does that dificulty also apply in Photoshop elements 2?

If it does, is there anything in the works to improve red eye removal? I’m thinking of buying but naturally I would like to get the better version if there’s going to be one.

jaybass

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections