W
Posted By
willyp933
Aug 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have made an 8-bit RGB image in Photoshop FROM SCRATCH. I am using photoshop 5.0, so "save for web" is not an option here. I am trying to save as a .PNG file, but every format except "Photoshop" is greyed out.

Any helpers?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 1, 2004
Try flattening it.
W
willyp933
Aug 1, 2004
You mean making it all one layer?

I will try that…thanks.

(let me go try that..*turns on computer*)

nope…that doesn’t work.

anyone else want to give it a shot?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 1, 2004
Is PS 5 the one that had Save a Copy? Maybe try that.

Look up PNG in the manual or Help.
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2004
And make sure you applied the update(s) to Photoshop 5.0.
W
willyp933
Aug 2, 2004
anyone?

no?

Aww come on…surely SOMEONE out there is smart enough to know the problem 🙂
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2004
This is from the Photoshop CS help files:

* PNG–Developed as a patent-free alternative to GIF, Portable Network Graphics (PNG) format is used for lossless compression and for display of images on the Web. Unlike GIF, PNG supports 24-bit images and produces background transparency without jagged edges; however, some Web browsers do not support PNG images. PNG format supports RGB, indexed-color, grayscale, and Bitmap-mode images without alpha channels. PNG preserves transparency in grayscale and RGB images.

You can use the Save As command to save RGB, indexed-color, grayscale, and Bitmap-mode images in PNG format.
Note: You can also save an image as one or more PNG files using the Save for Web command (Photoshop) or the Save Optimized command (ImageReady).

To save a file in PNG format:

1. Choose File > Save As and choose PNG from the Format menu.
2. Select an Interlace option:
* None displays the image in a browser only when download is complete. * Interlaced displays low-resolution versions of the image in a browser as the file downloads. Interlacing makes download time seem shorter, but it also increases file size. 3. Click OK.
W
willyp933
Aug 2, 2004
If you read my entire post, I said that everything except Photoshop format was GREYED OUT. Normally, it should let me save as at LEAST ONE other format…

something is wrong, or i am not doing something right. It makes no sense that I can only save as PS format…
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2004
If you had read my entire post, you wouldn’t have posted your last message.
W
willyp933
Aug 2, 2004
Well…
….I’m sorry. But what did you’re post "mean," really? What was the key point in that paragraph. PNG isn’t the only way…i could use JPEG, too…but either way, they are ALL greyed out.
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2004
My apologies this time, Willy. When I edited the post to add the color emphasis, the first paragraph of my post got deleted:

Well, Photoshop 5 is a very distant memory, Willy. Give us more details on exactly what your file contains. Save your image as a PSD (with a different name, just in case you need to revert to your current file), then open the newly saved file. Look at the Layers and the Channel palette and see if you can see anything there other than the 3 RGB channels or more than one layer.
R
Ram
Aug 2, 2004
The following was also deleted;

Give us the exact size of the file itself and the pixel dimensions (width x height).
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2004
Unless your file fits the requirements for Saving As a .png format, that option will remain greyed-out.

Your file either has more than one layer or it contains excess channels.

Also make sure that you install the 5.0.2 update:
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=513>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 2, 2004
Again I ask, did PS 5 have Save As Copy? I remember 5.5 did.
W
willyp933
Aug 2, 2004
PS5 does in fact have a Save As Copy…I just don’t understand it.

Okay, here are the dimensions and stuff.

It’s 500×200, RGB 8-bit, Two layers (i’ve tried flattening, it still doesn’t work). Anything else I might need to say?

BTW the mac I am using is not hooked up to the internet. So I cannot get that update.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2004
<< BTW the mac I am using is not hooked up to the internet. So I cannot get that update. >>

So how did you get here?!

:~O

Meanwhile, make sure that your 500×200, RGB 8-bit is at 72 ppi.

MERGE your Layers.

Then use Save AS (whether you understand it or not!) to save a copy of your file with a new name as a .png document.
W
willyp933
Aug 2, 2004
72 ppi? if you mean resoloution, then it is.

I merged my layers (merge visible), and when i use Save AS, i STILL can’t save it as a png. Did you mean to say, then use save as copy (whether you believe it or not)? because that’s what it sounds like…
i’ll try it once i feel like rebooting my mac again. So check back for results.

I am here from a PC with internet. The g3 is just for using minimal things such as Music (digital perfomer3) and graphics
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 2, 2004
Graphics are "minimal things"? Photoshop needs all the power that you can give it!

If you still can’t save a single-layered file (that contains no extraneous channels) as a PNG file, try trashing your Photoshop Preferences.

If it still doesn’t work, re-instal Photoshop from your original CD.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 2, 2004
The reason I mention Save a Copy is that it was good at removing the extraneous info Anne refers to. And I belive in that version it didn’t add "Copy." But anyway, I hope trashing prefs does the trick.

You can easily download the update to your PC and transfer it to the Mac via CD, zip drive, whatever.

Graphics and music are much more heavy-duty functions for a computer than surfing the net, which is almost nothing (unless you are downloading graphics and music).
W
willyp933
Aug 2, 2004
Well, i tried Save as Copy, and it let’s me do all kinds of formats! png, jpeg, gif, etc! (After flattening, of course)

But save as copy is the only one that allows me to do this. Save as doesn’t let me. Why is this?

And it would be fine if the Save As copy worked just the exact same was as a Save As saved file.

For instance, I need a .png file to burn onto disc and transfer to THIS computer to get on the internet and post my graphic. And PNG, GIF, JPEG etc are read by all computers. But for some reason, even when i save as copy as a png file, and i burn it on a disc, and I put in the disc down here (on the computer with internet), my computer doesn’t knwo what program created it (so basically it’s still a PSD).

Does THAT help anyone?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 3, 2004
You shouldn’t have to flatten it for Save A Copy to work.

Macs recognize creator codes; PCs don’t. Just associate PNG with whatever program you want to open it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
<< Macs recognize creator codes; PCs don’t. >> Which means that you MUST end the file-name with ".png".

You don’t have to flatten the file but you do need to reduce it to a single layer (which you can do by merging).
W
willyp933
Aug 3, 2004
wait…i thought flattening was just merging them all together! How do i flatten it??
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 3, 2004
Use the pop-out menu in the Layers palette.
J
jonf
Aug 3, 2004
The reason Save As Copy works and Save As doesn’t is that something> in your file is not compatible with any of the Save options that you want. Save As Copy was designed to save something without writing over your original file. It allows you to choose any format, and automatically converts any incompatible data to fit the format you chose, since all it does is place an extra copy of the file on your computer. If you Save or Save As, PS assumes you want to continue to work on the file, so it won’t allow you to save in any format that will ruin your ability to keep working in the document as you currently have it built. It’s sort of like an "Export" option for PS.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections