AK
Posted By
ashley_karyl
Aug 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There is a new OS X update. Anybody want to try first?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Aug 9, 2004
I will, I will.

B)
Aug 9, 2004
I’m still sticking with 10.3.3.

I think I’ll just wait for El Tigre.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 9, 2004
I was first, but that’s not necessarily a clever thing to do…
R
Ram
Aug 9, 2004
I’ll wait for Ann’s OK.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 9, 2004
10.3.4> 10.3.5 it rebooted and got here with no problem…
L
Larryr544
Aug 9, 2004
OK here I go… well ok I’ll finish my taxes first. Enough headache for one day!
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 9, 2004
So far so good. No obvious problems are visible as yet.
B
Buko
Aug 9, 2004
Just restarted, PS and ID fired up no problems. as did Safari.

Go on Ramón, its OK.

Could my Pictures be opening up faster in PS now?
R
Ram
Aug 9, 2004
Everyone,

Don’t forget to repair permissions before and after updating!
L
LRK
Aug 10, 2004
I would have been first but since I’m right in the middle of two jobs I thought it best I let you all be the brave hearts.
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 10, 2004
No problems on this end.
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
I had to reset my display preferences on both monitors, but other than that it seems OK. The blurb on the improvements (or fixes) makes this update sound significant. We’ll see.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 10, 2004
Yes, there are some signifcant improvements in 10.3.5 (not all of which are obvious, yet).
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Aug 10, 2004
So far so good. (10.3.5 installed)
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 10, 2004
In addition to 10.3.5 be sure to install the latest security update which patches a security hole in a library which supports PNG formatted images.

The update is just fine here. I’ve encountered no issues but always backup everything before any update. Speaking of cloning software, I’ve used Carbon Copy Cloner since it was first released with success but recently have switched to a more comprehensive shareware product, "SuperDuper!".

Here’s a good review…

< http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/my_favorite_mac_ backup_utility>
JC
Joe_Couto
Aug 10, 2004
How do you update permissions?

Thanks
R
Ram
Aug 10, 2004
Joe,

It’s called "Repair Permissions" and you do it with Apple’s Disk Utility.
L
Larryr544
Aug 10, 2004
It’s working fine here!
B
Buko
Aug 10, 2004
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 10, 2004
All clear and flying high with 10.3.5.
L
LRK
Aug 10, 2004
Anyone notice an improvement in performance… or maybe some piece of software running better than before? … such as GoLive CS? Ugh… 🙂
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 10, 2004
I don’t notice any slowdown in performance, which is already good, so the added improvements to the system come without apparent loss in speed. Thankfully.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 10, 2004
Well my Epson 3200 scanner is suddenly no longer working. I get an error message every time telling me that no scanner is installed. I have re-installed the driver and checked all the cables, but its still the same and it was working 5 minutes before the update.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 10, 2004
"Well my Epson 3200 scanner is suddenly no longer working."

Did you rebuild permissions before and after installation?
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 10, 2004
I am back up and running now. It just took another restart after removing and attaching the USB cable again. Just a USB glitch I guess.
L
LRK
Aug 10, 2004
Glad it’s up and working again Ashley…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 10, 2004
Seems fine here…SO FAR…
(I installed from the downloaded Combo, not through Software Update.)

[And GoLive CS is working perfectly well too, Linda!]
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 11, 2004
OK, one issue that’s been reported and I found was that on G5 1.8ghz machines, Sleep isn’t working. Screen goes dark but fan and processors keep going. Not a huge issue but if you’re the type that does put your desktop to sleep and you are running a 1.8ghz machine, you might get hosed here. Otherwise the machine feels a lot more snappy to me and I guess I’ll just shut down this pup each evening.
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Aug 11, 2004
Chris Cox what is that last statement supposed to mean.

I really wish you guys would ride apple hard on the screen redraw issues in photoshop. I haven’t really kept up with it as I have been very busy. But I remember reading somewhere on this forum shortly after the CS suite came out where you said that the slow screen redraw is some kind of conflict in the OS itself. They need to fix this as it is getting a little long in the tooth now 2+ years later.

(not saying that CS has been around for 2+ years, simply that it existed in jaguar and panther)
L
LRK
Aug 11, 2004
Thanks Andrew…
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 11, 2004
Christopher – that last statement means that I can’t announce something yet.
B
Buko
Aug 11, 2004
Since I don’t have a 1.8 dual GHZ or put my box to sleep its not really a problem for me.

But I did notice that things seemed a little snappier. I didn’t say anything because I thought it maybe my imagination.
L
LRK
Aug 11, 2004
I hope you’re right Buko… that would be nice.
CG
Christopher_Gentry
Aug 11, 2004
I hope that means that the screen redraw is going to be fixed.

Thanks for the reply.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 12, 2004
The only thing I’ve noticed is Eudora 6.1 crashes regularly now, I’ll be looking for an update from them shortly.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 13, 2004
It may have been a USB glitch that I experienced with the Epson 3200 scanner but it seems to be a repeating one under 10.3.5. There were no problems with 10.3.4 and OS 9 works perfectly. For some reason the scanner is failing to be recognised now at start up on a regular basis.
H
halscheyer
Aug 13, 2004
I have a Power Mac G4, 1.25, 1 1/2 G RAM, running 10.2.8. No problems with PS CS. Is there any reason for me to upgrade to 10.3.3 or 10.3.5? I am inclined to the philosophy that if it aint broke, don’t fix it, however, if there are any advantages to upgrading, i will consider it. PS CS is really the only reason that I ha ve a Mac. I also have a Canon 9900F scanner that is working well with the present setup.
L
LRK
Aug 13, 2004
I’m getting ready to upgrade now… 8)
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Aug 14, 2004
I use eudora on 4 machines and haven’t had a crash (yet). Hope I didn’t just hex myself there.
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 16, 2004
It’s settled down for me now, hopefully it was something else.
L
LRK
Aug 16, 2004
Installed a couple of days ago. No problems here that I know of…
C
Cindy
Aug 16, 2004
Ashley,

I installed the update and my 3200 works fine but what you describe did happen to me once. I had to delete Image Capture from my applications directory and re-install Epson Twain. Everythng was fine after that. I can’t remember if I had to delete everything twain before I reinstalled or if I was able to install over it.

Try all of the above and see if it fixes your problem.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 16, 2004
This might be an isolated problem between 10.3.5 and the latest Epson driver 2.3.2A which I installed just before the latest Apple update. The Epson driver worked fine under 10.3.4 but then the USB problems emerged immediately after 10.3.5 was installed.

I initially re-installed both the Epson driver and 10.3.5 again without success which was all I needed to do the first time around when this happened just like in your case Cindy. Out of frustration I ran the older installer to remove the driver first which reported success and then re-installed 1.2.8A. Now everything seems to work again in Photoshop but it is still showing the driver as 2.3.2A. It could be that there were some old components from 1.2.8A causing conflict with the newer driver, but they should have been removed when I originally updated under 10.3.4.

It all seems to work now, but I am not entirely convinced that I know why there were problems or how I solved it.
C
Cindy
Aug 16, 2004
I am running 1.2.8A.
VK
Vratislav_Kuska
Aug 16, 2004
Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 2.0 software – Converging verticals (correcting perspective – "falling buildings")

Hello,

has anyone experience with various software for Mac (ideally OS 9 and OS 10 comptatible) capable of effective Converging verticals (correcting perspective – "falling buildings")? Could Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 2.0 software do it? Photoshop can do it perfectly, but it is too expensive and complicated to learn (I am presently using Photoshop LE to full satisfaction with exception of lacking possibility to to correct converging verticals.

Cheers,

Vraatia
VK
Vratislav_Kuska
Aug 16, 2004
Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 software – Converging verticals (correcting perspective – "falling buildings")

Hello,

has anyone experience with various software for Mac (ideally OS 9 and OS 10 compatible) capable of effective correction of converging verticals (correcting perspective – "falling buildings")?

Could Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 software do it? Photoshop can do it perfectly, but it is too expensive and complicated to learn (I am presently using Photoshop LE to full satisfaction with exception of lacking possibility to correct converging verticals.

Cheers,

Vraatia
R
Ram
Aug 16, 2004
Vraatia,

There’s a dedicated Elements forum. Try posting there.
B
Buko
Aug 16, 2004
Can’t say, I’ve never used Elements.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Aug 17, 2004
Vraatia,

Yes you can use Elements to fix it and there is no problem with using both OSX and OS9 … if you do want to visit the Photoshop Elements forum the link is:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.eeb4f8b>

Wendy
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 17, 2004
Has anybody else encountered problems with online banking since the 10.3.5 update? I used to be able to log in using FireFox before though all other browsers were a problem. Now even FireFox is crippled and I am forced to use the PC.
T
T._C.
Aug 17, 2004
No problems here.
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2004
banking works fine with Safari and 10.3.5
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 17, 2004
I guess you must have a bank which is a little more Mac friendly! When I try to connect normally with Safari I get an immediate message telling me that it is an incompatible browser and that I have to use Netscape 4.7. The strange thing is that FireFox worked perfectly before the 10.3.5 update but since then many of the features simply fail to work.

There was actually a way of getting Safari to work under 10.3.4 by using a command line in the terminal to activate the debug menu in Safari. This allowed me to change the user agent fooling my bank’s browser detector into believing that I was using Netscape 4.7. Unfortunately, since the 10.3.5 update I can still get in but all the options fail to work just like with FireFox. The only solution is to use a PC…
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2004
ashley are you in England?

I thought I read on the Register that a bank in England became Mac unfriendly.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 17, 2004
Yes I am in England and its clear that my bank is not going out of its way to be Mac friendly. In this case though the it seems that 10.3.5 was what finally broke the limited compatibility. Its all so stupid because there is no reason why Macs should have any difficulty in a situation like this.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2004
ashley,

Is Firefox still not working? We are going to upgrade soon and I really don’t want to lose Firefox.
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2004
I tried to look up the artical on the Register but did not find it.
B
Buko
Aug 17, 2004
The web site for my health insurance is Mac unfriendly so I can empathize with you.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 17, 2004
FireFox is working fine everywhere as far as I can tell except at my bank’s website. I am using 0.9.3 on my main computer and checked with my imac which still has 0.9.1. The problem exists on both computers so I am pretty sure its 10.3.5 which created the problem unless it was the recent Java update for OS X?
C
Cindy
Aug 17, 2004
I am not able to run FireFox or Mozilla on my machine and have not been able to for a very long time. I have not been able to find out what the problem is. I have deleted every preference I can find to delete and still no Mozilla. It crashes on launch. It has done this since some update to Safari quite a while back.

I can run Safari, Netscape and IE

I am running 10.3.5

If anyone knows what might be causing this I sure would like to know. I havent persued it because like I said, I deleted all prefs and this has persisted through many OS updates.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 17, 2004
My guess is that one of the recent Security Patches is probably the culprit.
C
Cindy
Aug 17, 2004
It couldn’t be all that recent. I would say close to a year has gone by since I have been able to use Mozilla. I thought that when I upgraded to Panther it would be resolved but nope! Now it is true I did not do a fresh install but everything else runs perfectly so I saw no need.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2004
You might try the Mozillazine forums here:

<http://www.mozillazine.org/>

I’ll take FF over Safari any day.
J
JWeber
Aug 17, 2004
Here’s another place to find the latest Firefox builds. And they actually tell what has been fixed. <http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/>
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 17, 2004
Try Camino, it’s the no frills version of Mozilla designed specifically for OSX (no legacy code from OS9)
C
Cindy
Aug 17, 2004
I cannot launch Camino, Mozilla for Firefox. I have been to their forum and no one wants to answer what might be wrong. I have deleted every pref I can think of and these programs just wont launch. It is been that way since before Panther.

I can use Safari, Netscape and IE
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2004
Camino works just fine for me.

Safari is my browser of choice.
L
LRK
Aug 18, 2004
GoLive 6.01 has started crashing. Not sure if it’s related to the update or not. This is a bummer.
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2004
Hmmmm…………!

I noticed some oddities today using ID. At the time I shrugged it off to moving my office again (Remodling). Funny thing is I can’t remember what it was it was so minor. So is this due to 10.3.5 or the new ID 3.0.1 August update.
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 18, 2004
Now this is O.T but since we were talking about browsers I thought I’d share something that I just found in case its of any use. On Versiontracker there is a little freeware program called SafariSpeed which claims to remove an inbuilt delay in page rendering via the terminal.

I figured it was worth trying expecting to see zero or only a tiny difference, however, it seems to have resolved an issue which has been bugging me for over a year with FTP uploads. Very simply whenever I have been uploading files via FTP any surfing of the web has been next to impossible due to failed connections and super slow rendering and my provider has never been able to find an answer. This problem wasn’t limited to Safari and also effected other browsers plus my PC if that was also connected to the net at the same time.

Very suddenly within two minutes of applying that terminal command I am able to surf totally normally while also uploading files and I installed this software while uploading files, so the difference was very obvious. The really strange part is that FireFox is also running faster, so I’d be really curious to know what all of this is about and why a delay is built in at all. For the first time navigating on my Macs feels about as fast as the PC.

My 1Mbit connection finally feels like it should do!
L
LRK
Aug 18, 2004
Thanks for that info Ashley. Not sure but maybe it will help with other issues I have with Safari.

Does anyone notice that Safari takes for ever to quit out of?
G
graffiti
Aug 18, 2004
Safari takes for ever to quit out of?

I’ve noticed that if I have a browser window open and quite, it takes a long time. If I don’t have a window open, it normally quites right away. Sometimes not.
L
LRK
Aug 18, 2004
Thanks Graff… glad it’s not just mine.
G
graffiti
Aug 18, 2004
glad it’s not just mine.

No, but it may be just yours and mine. 🙂
R
Ram
Aug 18, 2004
Some users are reporting problems with certain fonts, among them Adobe Expert Garamond, and apparently Apple is advising them to revert to an earlier version of the OS!

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb5839d>

I’ve experienced some weirdness in minor utilities, where high-bit ASCII characters are not displaying, and MS IE Explorer seems to be quitting unexpectedly more often. I’m not too worried yet, but I’ll spend the afternoon and evening testing as many applications as I can before reverting to 10.3.4.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 18, 2004
Duplicate of my posting in the ATM forum:

<< I have checked this in Word, InDesign and in QXP 4.1.1 (in Classic).

InDesign CS: No problems with either the old Adobe Garamond Expert or with the new Adobe Garamond Pro OTF.

Word X: No problems with the new Adobe Garamond Pro OTF but the old Adobe Garamond Expert fonts do not work.

QXP 4.1.1: No problems with the old Adobe Garamond Expert fonts (OTFs do not work with this program anyway.) I (fortunately!) have no way of testing later versions of QXP.

Moral of the story? Upgrade your fonts—and dump QXP….

L
LRK
Aug 18, 2004
How would you "revert back to an earlier system"? Sounds to me like you would have to redo your hard drive… unless you kept a backup… oy!
C
Cindy
Aug 18, 2004
unless you kept a backup…unless you kept a backup…unless you kept a backup…

oy!
R
Ram
Aug 18, 2004
How would you "revert back to an earlier system"? Sounds to me like you would have to redo your hard drive.

Right. Back up everything and start from scratch. Not a pleasant thought.
C
Cindy
Aug 18, 2004
I have a copy of 10.3.4 created with Carbon Copy Cloner on another hard drive. I have a practice of doing a fresh copy just before any update. i recommend it.
B
Buko
Aug 18, 2004
Just run Archive and install, it keeps your old settings and apps.

now just run the combo 10.3.4 updater.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections