VD
Posted By
vernon_deuel
Aug 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i’d like to blend two pics. they both would fade into each other. can Photoshop do this, or Illustrator? i may also do this with several pics.
thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Aug 11, 2004
The short answer is YES. Read up on Layers and Layer Masks in the manual and the Help files.
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 12, 2004
thanks. i experimented with that, but i’d like to blend the pics at their sides. the right side of one pic would blend into the left side of the other pic, or at a corner (one pic being smaller).
CB
charles_badland
Aug 12, 2004
As Ramón said, you can do what you describe with Layers and Layer Masks. In addition to the manual you may want to get, read and do the exercises in "Adobe Photoshop Classroom in a Book" for the version of PS you are using.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
Once again, Vernon: Read up on Layers and Layer Masks in the manual and the Help files.
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 12, 2004
don’t have a manual. i will look at the Help files a bit, maybe missed something. i will get a book. thanks.
J
jonf
Aug 12, 2004
Come on, this isn’t rocket science. It won’t hurt anything to give him a hint.

•One photo on bottom layer
•Second photo in a layer above it.
•With the upper layer selected, use the add layer mask button in the bottom of the layers palette to create a layer mask.
•With the mask selected in the palette, use the gradient tool or any paint tool to paint the blend mask over your image. (Whatever you paint while the layer mask is selected is subtracted from the top image, so the bottom image will show up through it. It will look like you’re painting the bottom image into your top image.)
VD
vernon_deuel
Aug 12, 2004
thanks, jonf

experimented a bit and this is one of the things i am trying to accomplish.

any tips for this?: i want to show an object behind a city skyline. i have both pics. what is the best method of deleting everything around the buildings?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 12, 2004
Vernon:

The secret to masking is to remember that painting with black, CONCEALS and painting with white, REVEALS.
(And shades of grey partly obscure.)

In your case you would create a layer mask on your upper layer (the city skyline layer) and would fill the area where the buildings are with white and the sky area with black.

Your other image on the Layer below will now show through in the sky-area of your cityscape.
J
jonf
Aug 12, 2004
It depends on what’s around the buildings. What you need to do is select that area, and fill that area in your layer mask.

The problem is selecting the area. If it contrasts pretty well with the buildings, you can use the magic wand tool. Sometimes you can find a single channel that has good enough contrast to make the selection (view each channel individually and if one of them shows the sky as all white it will make your job easier). I normally add a little bit of feathering in the blend to avoid pixelated edges if selecting an area this way, or you can apply a slight Gaussian blur to your layer mask afterwards.

If the area just won’t select correctly with the magic wand, you may have to trace it with the pen tool.

There isn’t a single easy way to do it that works for all situations. best thing to do is keep to trying it until you make it look right in your instance.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
You can just use the paint brush to paint on the mask with black or with white (as needed) without having to select anything.
J
jonf
Aug 12, 2004
The secret to masking is to remember that painting with black, CONCEALS and painting with white, REVEALS.

I.e., with the layer mask selected if you choose the brush tool, with black as the foreground color, then paint into the mask, it *conceals* the layer you’re working on, which will be obvious if you’re working over a white background. But it reveals whatever is *beneath the image* .

You can just use the paint brush to paint on the mask with black or with white (as needed) without having to select anything.

The instruction on selecting were in regard to his question of how to delete everything around the buildings. I thought it might be helpful unless he’s really good at painting around the edges of the buildings.
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2004
If you’re good at selecting buildings, you’ll be even better at painting around them. Much faster. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 12, 2004
Jonf:

Now you will really have confused Vernon!

:~)

Let’s try it this way:

The secret to Layer Masking is to remember that painting with black on the Mask, CONCEALS objects on that Layer (leaving a transparent "hole" in that area of the image).

And painting with white, REVEALS objects on that Layer (keeping them visible in that area of the image).

Objects on lower Layers will show through the "Holes".

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections