J
Posted By
josh
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry, I’m a bit new to this … I have this picture of a book – I need to cut out the background, so the books that are taken without depth and are more or less rectangles, I use the rectangle select tool, but this book looks more like a trapezoid or a rhombus because of the angle and depth the picture was taken at … I hope that makes sense

any and all suggestions would be super appreciated

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RM
Rick_McCleary
Aug 19, 2004
The question you’re asking is about making the most basic selection. What you’re trying to do can be accomplished many ways – pen tool/path, polygon lasso tool, magic wand on background, calculations + channel selection, layer mask, etc, etc, etc.

But before you can do any of those things, you need to gain some fundamental knowledge about Photoshop. And before anyone here can answer your question, you need to have that knowledge.

There are many tutorials on-line, but the best way to start would be to pick up a copy of Classroom-In-A-Book for Photoshop. It is published by Adobe and is available in most bookstores. It will guide you through the things you need to know to start using the program.

When you have difficulties, please come back here and ask. Some of the folks who answer questions might seem intimidating, but they’re all good at heart. (Right, folks?) Don’t be scared off.

Good luck.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 19, 2004
Learn to use the pen tool. It’s a valuable skill for those who work with Photoshop.

Go to online tutorials and be patient, it takes some practice, but well worth the investment in time.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 19, 2004
Joshua:

You might want to experiment with the Crop tool and Perspective if you would like your book to be a true rectangle rather than a trapezium.
L
Larryr544
Aug 19, 2004
You could also use the Free Transform Skew to make the book into a rectangle.
L
Lundberg02
Aug 20, 2004
Ooops! that book will never be a trapezium
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 20, 2004
In UK English, that book could easily look like a "trapezium"!

<< There are two common definitions of the trapezium. The American definition is a quadrilateral with no parallel sides.

The British definition for a trapezium is a quadrilateral with two sides parallel (Bronshtein and Semendyayev 1977, p. 174). >>

<http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Trapezium.html>
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2004
Um, Joshua…

If you’re still with us, you can also find this info in your user’s guide for Photoshop (real or virtual version). For a shortcut, look up the key words in the index for starters.

Please come back if you have further questions.

Neil
J
josh
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks all … I guess that I’m not that new at these things, I am just more of an indesign maven than a photoshop one, I work more in bookpublishing than other things, I’m familiar with the tools … and I know the ones listed, but I haven’t found them very accurate,more than anything, I’ve found them a bit tempermental and oversensitive … I haven’t been able to control them as much as I had hoped and get the result I’m hoping for … what I’m really looking for is a trick that can get me a more accurate result … I was hoping to be able to use the rectangle selection tool and then move the points to the exact size and shape of the image and then inverse select and delete, similar to what can be done with the cropper, but alas, that doesn’t seem to be an option

Any more, more specific ideas would be really appreciated
ZS
Zina_Saunders
Aug 20, 2004
Using the Pen Tool, make your rectangular shape that you mention you’d like to do with the rectangle selection (Marquee) tool. Then, using the Path Direct Selection Tool, shift the corner points to exactly the spots you’d like. Name your Path in the paths palette. Select your path, and invert the selection and delete. It’s almost exactly what you described you’d like!
J
josh
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks, Zina. That’s exactly what I was looking for …
AW
Allen_Wicks
Aug 22, 2004
When Joshua said

"I’ve found them a bit tempermental and oversensitive … I haven’t been able to control them as much as I had hoped and get the result I’m hoping for …"

I figured he must be discussing the Mac PS Forumees…

🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections