Posted By
patti_mollica
Jan 23, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I’ve been looking thru books trying to find the answer to this basic question: I’m trying to paste an image into a layer that has a layer mask (with one image already in it). i would like this second image to be affected by the mask too (a collage with two images). when i select that layer (with the mask) and hit command V (paste) it pastes the image in its own separate layer ABOVE the mask. How do i get it to be IN the mask layer??
thanks very much
patti

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

O
Ozzwoman9
Jan 23, 2009
Not sure if this is what you are needing or not:

Click on the layer in the layers pallette and hold, then drag that layer into the ‘new’ layer icon at the bottom. This will duplicate that layer into a new layer.
R
randalqueen
Jan 23, 2009
Make a duplicate of that layer and then drag the image you want into that layer.

If you do that drag, you should hold the shift button when you do so the image is centered for you.
R
randalqueen
Jan 23, 2009
Actually, no… try this till someone comes along and sets you straight…

Make the duplicate of the layer, then drag the layer mask to the layer with the image you want to affect, then delete the other layer that no longer has the mask. You can drag the layer mask between layers.
P
Phosphor
Jan 23, 2009
Why not put the Layers into a set (or group I guess they call it now) and apply the mask to the set?
R
randalqueen
Jan 23, 2009
Or bring the image in you want on one layer, and then click on the layer with the mask and hold the alt button down and drag that to the other layer and it seems to duplicate to that layer.
PM
patti_mollica
Jan 23, 2009
thanks for you answers – yes, i see that you can drag the layer mask to another layer.

to simplify this question… if i disregard layers masks altogether, is there a way to put an image on a specific layer that already has an image on it? can it be dragged onto that layer somehow? if so, how do you do that?
when i try to drag an image from one layer onto another it does not work, it just changes the order of the layers. So I highlight the "destination" layer and then cut and paste and then it ends up on its own layer ABOVE the layer that is highlighted.
P
Phosphor
Jan 23, 2009
Merge down.

But why? It’s easier to deal with different images on their own Layers, usually.
PM
patti_mollica
Jan 24, 2009
thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections