SC
Posted By
sa_carty
Aug 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Would like to take a Photoshop (6.01) image of a product with drop shadow on a transparent background and bring into Illustrator 8. I need the photoshop image to be imported with it’s transparency intact so that a background graphic (a flower) in illustrator shows through (while maintaining the soft edge of the drop shadow.

I have followed the directives on how to save photoshop docs for this purpose. But my illustrator doc is interpreting the transparent pixels as white.

Other than creating a composite in photoshop that includs the flower does anybody know what I can do.

Do Illustrator 10 and CS do better in this area? Or Quark?

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JK
John_Kallios
Aug 21, 2004
Illustrator 8 does NOT support transparency. You will need clipping paths in 8 which will not give you the ability of soft edges.

Illustrator 10 and CS (and 9) do support transparency and a psd can be placed into there and retain transparency.

Quark does NOT support transparency.

InDesign would be the better choice over Quark if you want to work with transparency.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 21, 2004
Quark supports (YES : ) many kinds of transparency, but probably NOT what you have in mind. (color none boxes for type, clipped EPSs and bitmap TIFFs)

(InDesign seems to be better, but I wish someone would make a video tutorial addressed to advanced Photoshop users who know Quark and some Illustrator : )
B
Buko
Aug 21, 2004
Quark does not support transpaency in placed, layered .PSD and tiff files.

InDesign does.

why anyone is still using Quark these days is beyond me.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 21, 2004
LT:

Would this help?
< http://www.totaltraining.com/store/2003/tt_products/InDesign CS.asp?mscsid=>

The same people have also developed a course for those who want to switch to InD from QXP.

There may be some useful tutorials on the fourth CD in the CS set but you have to pay to unlock them and I haven’t bothered.

Also, if you haven’t already done so, check out
<http://share.studio.adobe.com/axBrowseSubmit.asp?t=56>
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 21, 2004
Buko, I create very few Quark documents of my own but I fix many for clients. I’d say we get 95% Quark and 4.5% Illustrator files from Ad Agencies.

Thanks, Anne!
SC
sa_carty
Aug 22, 2004
Thanks so much for the input.

I am just wondering now, if I get one of the illustrator upgrades you mention, will I be able to maintain transparency in .eps files. That’s what I usually send to the seperator. Or does sending psd files work now instead?
SC
sa_carty
Aug 22, 2004
Thanks so much for the input.

I am just wondering now, if I upgrade to Illustrator CS, will I be able to maintain transparency in .eps files?
B
Buko
Aug 22, 2004
eps files are a hold over of the Quark Ages. I personally avoid them like the plauge.

I create very few Quark documents of my own but I fix many for clients.

My Deepest Sympathies. I now understand why our political points of view differ so. B)
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
…. and my favorite file format is EPS : )

sa, all you need is a path designated as "clipping" and… Quark (color "none" picture box) or InDesign.
Illustrator isn’t a layout application.
JK
John_Kallios
Aug 22, 2004
No, eps is a flat format.

If you create the backgrounds in Illustrator as well, it will flatten when saving to eps. (the portion of a Illustrator eps file that is placeable in dtp applications) CS does the "best" at saving out to eps.

If you had transparent elements over nothing in Illustrator and save to eps, the transparent portion would be white when placed in InDesign or Xpress. (regardless if you used a transparent tif preview)
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
John, the question was simple : )
The answer is too.
I did it "my" way for 15 years at the rate of 20-30 EPSs per day, 5-6 days a week (do the math: )

Can you print different line screens on the same page from InDesign? (just curious)
JK
John_Kallios
Aug 22, 2004
No, InDesign cannot designate multiple line screens within the same page.

It will retain rider information in placed images that overides the lpi.

The answer is too.

Are saying I babel too much. 🙂
B
Buko
Aug 22, 2004

B)
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
No,.. but it started to look like EPS cannot have transparent background in Quark. (the extraneous info was for more advanced users)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 22, 2004
Instead of EPS in old Quirky, you might try moving up to Photoshop PDFs in InDesign for graduated transparency (no clipping paths needed!), vector objects and spot colors (although you do have to choose between either including spot colors or transparency as it doesn’t appear to be possible to include both in the same Photoshop PDF).
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 22, 2004
I can’t keep this all straight in my head.

Is there a website or book that shows what you can and can’t do with transparency, spot colors, drop shadows, with what file formats (eps, tiff, jpeg, pdf or psd) set to jpeg or tiff previews, ascii/binary, composite or seps, Postscript 1,2,3 compatibility, what loss of hinting with text changed to outlines looks like, hard/soft edge clipping paths used? All of this applied in all page and vector app versions currently used within the last 4 years?

It should be presented in a SIMPLIFIED layout of image examples picked apart charting how it was built with which app version encompassing all possible combinations mentioned above.

That way when someone invisions a design in their head they know how much of a hassle and how much money they’re going to have to fork over to upgrade to produce it.

And, if there isn’t a book or website, I can tell you right now there’s big money to be made if there was because I know I would be the first in line to pay for it. And the tightwad that I am, that’s REALLY saying something. 8/
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
Define big money! : )
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 22, 2004
You’re asking that of a tightwad? %D
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 22, 2004
You didn’t buy the Pocket Pal, did you?
<http://www.ippocketpal.com/>
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Aug 22, 2004
No, I didn’t, LT.

I’m looking for something more simplistic. More like a wall chart for quick reference.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections