GV
Posted By
Gerard_Van_der_leun
Jan 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After a year of working with my Canon s9000 and Elements 2, I needed to print an image on a long and thin sheet 8.5×23.5. Nothing worked and the images were all half printed or misaligned.

The Canon Online PDF manual states that to achieve "banner printing’ one is to select BANNER PRINTING in the page setup dialogue box when working with "Macintosh."

After being passed around in the manner of tech support, I finally got to someone who knew about this and he said:

"Banner printing and custom sizes for paper WILL NOT WORK in Mac OS X."

It seems very sketchy and not a bit lame to me for a company the size of Canon. "Sorry, that one feature won’t work in that one operating system. It was just too much trouble for us."

Of course the obvious work around is to boot Mac OS classic but that seems a bit retrograde. Has anyone else in the forum encountered this and is there any other work around?

I’m thinking that collectively we’ve got to know more about this than Canon. After all, they only make the printer.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 29, 2004
Don’t know if it will work, but you might try this:

<http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?50@@.599ea4b2/0>
GV
Gerard_Van_der_leun
Jan 29, 2004
Wow, that was quick. And complicated.

The thread at Apple notes:
"RE: Canon S9000 with OSX
( msg # 1.: Posted Jan 1, 04 11:45 am )
greg sahli
Level 3

Do you know if the S4500 is a related printer model? That model has a Gimp-Print driver. I would try (in printer setup) highlighting the printer then doing Get Info (command-i), and then selecting "printer model" from the menu and changing the model to the S4500 Gimp-Print one. Then try printing. You can always use the same procedure to go back to the other driver.
Good luck.

Read about the Canon S4500 driver here:
< http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-S 4500> (the stp driver they mention is already part of Gimp-Print in Panther) ====

The trail goes from Apple to Linux to Gimp Printer and then you pick up a download.

We’ll see. Seems like a long way to go but it also seems that Canon is NOT going to support OS X for this printer. Very flakey behavior.

thanks
GV
Gerard_Van_der_leun
Jan 30, 2004
But alas that fix doesn’t work. The driver for 4500 doesn’t have the same cast as the s9000 and hence the images are printed out offset to the left.

Arrgh.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 30, 2004
Gerard,

Can you compensate for that in Page Setup or similar? Or like always just add a "fake" info area along the left side of the image so it ends up printing correctly?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections