How do I get a smooth fill for selections?

E
Posted By
ewk
Sep 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have an eps file that is a color logo a client sent me. They want me to convert it to a 1 color logo. I have begun selecting different areas of color with the magic wand, and filling them with black or white, but the fill doesn’t give a totally smooth edge. Is there anyway to do this? I am using PS7. Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 18, 2006
Is the selection completely smooth?

With logos, you are usually much better off redrawing them in Illustrator
E
ewk
Sep 19, 2006
At 100% it looks pretty smooth. I don’t know Illustrator, have used Freehand in the past, but I’m better at Photoshop. It’s pretty complex for a logo too.
S
SteveV
Sep 19, 2006
If you make it in Freehand and export it to a Photoshop file with anti aliasing on and a good high resolution selected, something over 300 ppi would be good, then you should get a smooth gradient into Photoshop.
RD
Ryan Donahue
Sep 19, 2006
Couldn’t you simply make the image into grayscale, and work with curves if you want to adjust?
E
ewk
Sep 19, 2006
Yes, I have been doing that as well, but was hoping for an easier way. This logo has 10 colors and is very detailed…I am trying to reduce it to one color with little detail. Working with curves was taking quite a while…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 19, 2006
Have you tried using Illustrator CS2’s "Live Trace" for this?
E
ewk
Sep 19, 2006
No, I don’t have or know Illustrator…used to use Freehand. Is there some sort of program that will take an eps file, and turn it’s blocks of color into vector format?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 19, 2006
Illustrator CS2’s "Live Trace" does exactly that

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections