Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I keep smart objects vector when saving
the photoshop file? Is there a certain file type I have
to save out as?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 28, 2006
Vector Layers will remain as vectors in a .psd file — PROVIDING that you do not flatten the file.

You can also maintain vectors by saving as a Photoshop PDF.
B
Buko
Sep 28, 2006
to elaborate what ann said.

A vector will remain a vector in the photoshop file but if you place that file in ID it will be raster.

If you save the PSD as a PDF and place that in ID the vectors will remain vectors.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 28, 2006
You can also maintain vectors by saving as a Photoshop PDF.

not with SO objects.
PB
Peter_Benedetti
Sep 29, 2006
its not working for me,
what am I doing wrong?

I placed a PDF in ID and its rastor…why?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
placed a PDF in ID and its rastor…why?

When you Saved As a Photoshop.pdf:
The file needed to still be Layered; the Vector layers must NOT be rasterized; and you need to check the "Save Layers" box in the SaveAs dialog.
PB
Peter_Benedetti
Sep 29, 2006
nope its still not working,
I did a test , the only thing that stays vector
is the type that I typed in photoshop.
the smart objects that I brought in from illustrator
turn to raster either as a PDF , a PSD, or an EPS…

I don’t get it…what am I missing?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
Smart Objects don’t remain as Vectors.

You have to Copy/Paste as Paths the object directly from Illustrator into Photoshop; or, better yet, "Place" the illustrator.pdf directly into InDesign.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
hunh!

Who knew.

So much for smart objects.

The only thing smart about them is that you can scale them up and down all day long without any ill effects.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 29, 2006
They are still vector – the vector data (the whole original file you placed) is preserved until you flatten the document or rasterize the layer.

Why do you think they aren’t still vector data?
JS
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
I think they mean when placing in InDesign, not printing out of Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
Exactly.

When you place Photoshop PDFs in InDesign CS2; and then Print to PDF (even at Press Quality); you will notice that any Vector Smart Objects have been rasterized.

However Type and Shape layers that were originally created IN Photoshop do retain their vectors.
SW
Scott_Weichert
Sep 29, 2006
<spock>
Facinating
</spock>

Thanks for the insight folks 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 29, 2006
Well, yeah – InDesign doesn’t know how to read the vector data from the Photoshop document, only how to use the rasterized version. InDesign might eventually get there, but you’re talking about an Illustrator or PDF document inside a Photoshop document (with all the Photoshop features still available on the layer), and I don’t think most programs are going to handle that too easily.
DK
Doug_Katz
Sep 29, 2006
Chris, Ann, how about if the circumstance is identical but instead of placing the SO-carrying Photoshop PDF in InDesign, it’s placed in Illustrator? Will the SOs remain vector if you Save As or Print to PDF from Illustrator?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
I have just tried placing the SO-carrying Photoshop PDF in Illustrator CS2 and Saving As a PDF and I get the same result: SO vectors ARE rasterized.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
What about taking the one way trip to EPS file format from CS2 with vectors included?

I don’t have CS2 at home or I would try it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 29, 2006
Chris Cox – 10:07am Sep 29, 06 PST (#13 of 16) Well, yeah – InDesign doesn’t know how to read the vector data from the Photoshop document, only how to use the rasterized version. InDesign might eventually get there, but you’re talking about an Illustrator or PDF document inside a Photoshop document (with all the Photoshop features still available on the layer), and I don’t think most programs are going to handle that too easily.

This may be true Chris, but who in the hell prints out of Photoshop as vectors. Even Export Photoshop PDF’s don’t work correctly with SO.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 29, 2006
But why place Illustrator-created Vector files into Photoshop as SOs anyway if you are going to create the final page in a page-layout program?

I just place vector files from Illustrator directly into my InDesign document and they then do remain as vectors in the final "For Press" PDF.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 29, 2006
SO’s are like nested fils, shit blows up.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
Chris, but who in the hell prints out of Photoshop as vectors?

Oh, I am so glad you asked that and not me.

….but if you did, could you print to a postscript file that would work in a DTP workflow and have SO’s maintained as vectors?

In all my years (and this would include ALL the years of desktop publishing) I have never printed from Photoshop in a production environment, but times change… along with software and hardware.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 29, 2006
No, printing from Photoshop will not use the vector data from the SO — it can’t possibly do that.

You’re confusing a native Photoshop vector (like type) which we can print and manipulate with smart object (which we don’t know the contents of and cannot generally manipulate).
JS
John_Slate
Sep 30, 2006
So are you saying that vectors in SOs are still vectors, but there is no way at all to print or export them as vectors?

kind of like pheasant under glass, but the glass is glued to the table.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 30, 2006
They are still vectors and we can resize them, rotate them, color convert them, etc. But yes, they are too complex to output for printing or export except in their original state (as PDF, EPS, or Illustrator files).
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Oct 2, 2006
Perhaps someday PSD files will contain some type of sidecar metadata that will virtually "package" any SO’s in the file, and a future InDesign version will read those fat PSDs and be able to pull the SO vector data from the original files when it prints the placed PSD, with all vectors maintained.

Easy for me to say, right?

For the time being, it sure is nice to have non-destructive transform options for SO layers in Photoshop master documents… even placed raster elements with infinite scaling options. Reminds me of Live Picture’s capabilities years ago and is really handy when working out ideas for a new composite.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 2, 2006
LivePicture still works.

Amazingly, it actually runs better, and is extremely stable, on a modern G5 (in Classic of course) than it did when the last version was issued in 1998!
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 2, 2006
<< will read those fat PSDs and be able to pull the SO vector data from the original files>>

Paul, which "original files" are you referring to? Do you mean external files that were the original source of the SO?

I ask because, as I understand it (after lots of questions and experimentation), no connection – no link – is preserved between an external file and an SO. The "original data" is brought into the PSD when the external data is first placed. From that moment on, the PSD couldn’t give a hoot what happens to the external file.

So I’m guessing what we want is that other applications "will read those fat PSDs and be able to pull the original vector data that the PSD is housing."

(And, of course, I could still have all this wrong.)
R
Ram
Oct 2, 2006
Nope, you’re not wrong, Doug. Right on target. 🙂
DK
Doug_Katz
Oct 2, 2006
Thanks to you….
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Oct 2, 2006
Correct. No link is preserved to the original file that makes the SO. But if Photoshop can house the vector data in its own file, then someday maybe other applications will be able to read it.

My comment about "packaging" the original files for the benefit of other future SO-savvy programs was perhaps a confusing analogy for making the point.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 2, 2006
If you look at the way that Photoshop creates and employs Vectors, you will see that it is designed to incorporate discrete paths filled either with a single color (as in Type layers), or a single color, pattern or a simple gradient — as in Shape, Gradient, Pattern layers.

Imported Illustrator files are usually FAR more complex so I don’t see how they could ever be incorporated fully into the architecture of a Photoshop file and still retain all of the numerous vector elements in the original.

If you want to retain vectors in a complex Illustrator file, surely it is easier to either just place it in an InDesign file; or to add the Photoshop image into the Illustrator file?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 2, 2006
There is one situation whereas a SO or parts will retain as vector art, but it’s experimental on my part.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Oct 2, 2006
If you want to retain vectors in a complex Illustrator file, surely it is easier to either just place it in an InDesign file; or to add the Photoshop image into the Illustrator file?

Obviously.

But the future of SO output capability could be much more… time will tell.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 2, 2006
Adobe needs a new file format and intigaration for all the apps to use. I’m asking for too much, but the Dalim system can do what we are requesting.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 2, 2006
We don’t really need a new file format for that. What we do need is close coordination between a dozen different product teams trying to chase a moving target (because each team is adding features while trying to support the features of the other teams). We’ll get there, but it takes some time.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 2, 2006
Well, I was not going to say that, but yea, that’s what needs to happen.

A single format would help Chris.

A Suite file format that is PDF based. There is really no need to have the public swallow all the different kinds of formats anymore.

Mutiple file types should be an option, not a standard – cuz it creates the lack of a standard and control.

Look at what Thomas is trying to do with DNG. "the concept"
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 3, 2006
A single format would make things worse — it would have to simultaneously address the needs of dozens of applications (jack of all trades, master of none) and be kept in synchronization between all of those applications.

DNG targets a very specific useage, and that can be standardized.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Oct 3, 2006
Chris,

Is it technically feasible to have a program like InDesign "call out" to Photoshop when printing a layout that contains a placed PSD?

If so, perhaps each program in the Creative Suite could become, in some way, an engine for driving their native files through print using InDesign as the manager of sorts.

Put another way, if PSD’s can hold vector data in SOs, and this data remains vector when printed through Photoshop, perhaps a future InDesign version could (when instructed) put a call out to Photoshop’s print engine when it encounters a PSD element, and ingnore the flattened raster PSD that it currently defaults to. This could treat that part of the InDesign doc as a native PSD and perhaps retain any SO vectors contained within.

It may not be possible to also use InDesign’s native layer effects on top of these PSDs, but for certain workflow and printing situations, it might be a huge step forward in useability of SOs in native PSDs.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 3, 2006
I donno know Chris.

More options is sometimes less productive.

More options are needed when – a majority of things are broken and a ton of work arounds are needed.

Maybe we shall never see that stage of development due to the nature of the beast.

Just because you can build and ad in Photoshop does not mean you should. Just because you can save files in 6 different formats, does not mean you should.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections