RH
Posted By
Roger_Hodge
Jul 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having to copy and paste a graphic from MS Word 08 and place it into Photoshop CS3. It imports as Vector Smart Object and is very blurry. I have done this with MS Word 04 to CS2 with no problems. I searched the forum but did not see any solutions. Any ideas. Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 30, 2008
Hi Roger,

What kind of graphic is it?
RH
Roger_Hodge
Jul 30, 2008
A photo which was placed into a word document. I can write a pdf from word and then open that in Photoshop and it has the correct resolution. If I cut and paste directly into Photoshop the paste is very blurry.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 30, 2008
Is it possible that the image in the Word Doc is a low rez placeholder which references an original stored somewhere else? That could explain why a PDF save is proper (it incorporates the original image in distilling the PDF) but a copy/paste isn’t (you’re just getting the placeholder).
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Roger,

I agree with Welles. Although I’ll quickly admit that I am not a power user of Word, that is exactly what it sounds like.

Neil
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 30, 2008
The new Word 2008 for Mac makes use of placeholders in the Publishing Layout mode for sure, Neil. It just depends on how Roger is using it. I’ve got Word 2008 on a MacBook Pro but normally I just use Pages so I’m not very knowledgeable about the app.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 30, 2008
Welles,

Although I have Office 2008 on my system, I don’t use it for "publishing". But it does make sense that they now follow the convention of XPress and InDesign with the use of placeholders.

(Of course we can see prepress departments, printers and service bureaus around the world finally running out to embrace Word….) <g>

Neil
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 30, 2008
Create a PDF from the print menu using the Acrobat 7.0. or 8.0 driver or distill postscript to a PDF. The Clipboard copy paste feature is giving you garbage out of MS.
R
Ram
Jul 31, 2008
Roger,

What the others say. You’re just placing a very low-res preview from Word.
RH
Roger_Hodge
Jul 31, 2008
Since these files are being sent to me I need to have them send along the original photo files as well as the Word doc. I’m no fan of word or Publisher but I have to work with what is supplied. The pdf seems to work somewhat better than the copy/paste. Thanks for all the replies. Roger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections