Posted By
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I understand that Picture Package will not print correctly when editing or re-sizing digital pictures. I don’t understand why it won’t print the sizes correctly of an image that has not been edited. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One of these features I liked so much about Photo shop Elements 2.0 was the capability of printing different size photos on the same page with Picture Package. However, it does not seem to really print the correct sizes as given.

Thanks,
Cheryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 21, 2004
Some photo editing applications will do what you want, because they’re set to arbitrarily crop, resize, and resample as needed to produce a given size without manual editing. Because Elements is based on the professional-level full Photoshop, Adobe has chosen not to have it make those decisions for the user, which I happen to prefer. You might want to check out some of the less sophisticated programs to see if one suits your needs better.
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 21, 2004
It would have been nice if Adobe made customers aware that the program will not print digital pictures correctly. That would prevent customers from buying something that is not what they expected.

Thanks,
Cheryl
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 21, 2004
Cheryl,

Most digital cameras default aspect ratio is 4:3.

A 6×4 print has an aspect ratio of 3:2.

When a 4:3 image is set so that the long side = 6", the short side = 4.5. Therefore, 1/2" of the image will be cropped to make a 6×4 print.

When the same 4:3 image is set so that the short side = 4", then the long side = 5.33". Therefore, there will be 2/3" of blank space on a 6×4" print.

Do you want the software making the decision, in the first case, which part of your image should be lost? If so, how would the software make the decision? Probably, it would simply take the center 3:2 zone from the image, and size it to 6×4". What if your subject isn’t exactly centered, though? Maybe the crop should be made slightly toward, or all the way to, one edge? The essence of the issue is, who should decide what part of your image is to be lost, and which part kept?

Adobe takes the stance that YOU should be in control of your images’ content. If you have an image with an aspect ration which does not exactly fit the print area in Picture Package, Adobe keeps your whole image, and you end up with some white space.

If you prefer software which makes the decision for you, then you may not be happy with Elements.

JMO,

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 21, 2004
As time goes on, Cheryl, you may find you come to appreciate the other features of Elements. Many of our forum members switched to it after they became hooked on digital photography and decided they wanted a more robust program.

If you decide to shop around for different software, take advantage of the free demos that many of the developers offer, like Adobe’s 30 day trial version of Elements that can be downloaded. That way you can try things out before you make the purchase and perhaps alleviate some of your frustration. Forums hosted by software companies, like this one, are also a good way to get information about various programs before you buy. I’m sorry that you’re disappointed in Elements, but maybe my suggestions will help you choose something more to your liking.
CF
Cheryl_Forsythe
Feb 21, 2004
Thanks for the advice,

Cheryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections