Posted By
mfairchi2
Dec 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When i go to startup photoshop it, dies immediatley,
if i double click to luanch teh application, its icon appears in the dock and immediately dissapears. I get the same behavior from illustrator, accrobat pro,bridge.

GoLive works, but complains about can’t load module file INternet Module.bundle". InDesign works, but complains about not being able to load TextWalker.

I have installed, reinstalled, and most recently installed the cs3 beta. I have a macbook pro. Everything used to work, so Im not sure what happened. Seems like some dependency got corrupted or deleted.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Michael Fairchild

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Dec 30, 2006
OK.

I didn’t get my Clairvoyancy Hat for Xmas, so you need to supply some extra info.

this is a good link to read.

LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 7:27 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
M
mfairchi2
Dec 30, 2006
Clairvoyancy Hats were all sold out here also 😉

* The exact version of the Adobe Application you are running. I would have posted the exact version info for my copy of photoshop but, since i can’t start it, im not sure where to get that info, so the best I can do at the moment is, Adobe® Photoshop® CS2

* Your Operating System details.
* Amount of installed RAM. macbook pro 2.16 Ghz, 2GB RAM, OS 10.4.8

* Amount of free disk space. about 2GB free on HD right now, but has been much more with smae problems before

* Make/Model of Video Card.

* The EXACT text of any Error Messages you saw.
There are no messages. I am hoping there is some place that something is getting logged, but it just dies immediatley, with no warnings or anything.

Hope that helps?
thanks,
Michael
M
mfairchi2
Dec 30, 2006
oops, forgot to specify the video card.
its an ATI Radeon X1600 256MB Ram
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2006
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
M
mfairchi2
Dec 30, 2006
My computer usually does run thru the night, so the cron scripts are run. I have repaired permissions a few times, but not right before and after the install. I guess I’ll give that a try.

It sure would be helpful if there was someway to see where the startup was failing. Maybe some program that could execute photoshop, and log where it dies.
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2006
someway to see where the startup was failing.

Watch the Splash Screen as it’s starting up. See what it says right before crashing.

Although with other programs crashing as well you must have serious hardware or software problems.

You do have, without a doubt, a pitifully small amount of hard drive space left. Even triple the amount, 6GB would be ridiculously low.

In the first place, any time a drive gets to be about 85% full, you are in deep trouble right there (unless it’s a humongous 600GB drive).

Second, Photoshop’s scratch disk will be competing with the OS swap file for that tiny amount of hard drive space.

Figure on 35 to 50 times the size of your largest file OR MORE for your primary scratch disk. I keep a dedicated 160GB internal drive just for Photoshop’s primary scratch disk.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections