W
Posted By
Wayneswhirld
Jan 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have scanned six Letter size images. I want to save them as Photoshop PDFs and create one PDF document with the six images as consecutive pages. How is that done? I am using PS CS and for the PDF document, can use Acrobat CS or Reader.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jan 6, 2007
You can add pages to a PDF document at will in Acrobat. It’s very straightforward.. If you don’t know how to use Acrobat, read the documentation first and then post in the Acrobat forum if you’re still not sure.
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 6, 2007
Thanks Ramón, you’re right…it was easy to figure out once I launched Acrobat.

So I have a multi-page pdf document. Now my concern is the quality of the images. The images actually look good, but the text is definitely inferior and hard to read, enlarging it in the pdf window makes it worse. As mentioned above, the images were scanned at a res. of 72. I know I can go higher, but this pdf document is already 3.4MB. I don’t want to go much larger as it won’t be able to be emailed. Is there a way to make the PDF document smaller (after building it with higher res documents)? Perhaps I should ask this in the Acrobat forum, but I’ll try here first. Thanks.
R
Ram
Jan 6, 2007
What I would do is use InDesign to set the text and place the Photoshop images there before creating the PDFs from within InDesign.
R
Ram
Jan 6, 2007
And that way you can have an editable multi-page document from the start.
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 6, 2007
That sounds like the best way to do it. But I don’t have the time (it’s approx. a 2,500 word article). I guess I’ll try scanning them at 133 and hope it’s not more than 5MB.
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 6, 2007
What about the Encoding in the Photoshop PDF Save window? Can I use Zip instead of JPEG?
R
Ram
Jan 6, 2007
Acrobat has pretty decent OCR capabilities. It can turn your rasterized text into fully editable text in no time.
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 6, 2007
I see that I can do that. It has a minimum of a 200 res. image to make the text editable. Would that make the pages smaller? Right now the document, with mostly 150 res. pages, is 10MB.
B
Bernie
Jan 7, 2007
Look at converting the images to bitmap mode.

You could then have a 300 ppi file and it is likely to be small enough for your purposes.
SF
Scott_Falkner
Jan 7, 2007
Scan at 300 ppi and convert to bitmap (Image > Mode > Bitmap) in Photoshop. Bitmap images compress incredibly well in PDFs and the quality will be better than lower resolution grayscale.

To get very effective compression and good output, scan at 600 ppi and grayscale. Rotate each image to get perfectly horizontal baselines (ruler guides help). Use Levels to get the highest contrast and Filter > Noise > Median to get rid of stray dust and noise. Erase any stray pixels, tehn convert to bitmap using 50% threshold.
W
Wayneswhirld
Jan 7, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions…that will be great to keep in mind. The problem with bitmap for this document is 1) it’s in color including sepia like photos. I’m doing this for my wife and she says black and white is ok, but then 2) the text and layout would be fine in bitmap but of course, not the photos.

Unless there’s more suggestions, I’m limited to a 10MB file or the text/layout would have to be done in InDesign, but there’s no time for that.
B
Bernie
Jan 7, 2007
Save a scan of the text as a bitmap, a scan of the image as an RGB file and assemble them in InDesign.
B
Buko
Jan 7, 2007
place the pics in ID and export the PDF

It will be much smaller.
BG
barry_gray
Jan 7, 2007
Or make the PDF whatever works best then use:
<http://www.dropload.com/>
To get them there. It’s free.
ML
Mark_Larsen
Jan 8, 2007
file/automate/PDF Presentation from open files

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections