PC
Posted By
Paul_Cutler
Jan 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First of all I would like to really thank you for posting your tutorials about Photoshop and Epson printers. I just bought an Epson R1800 and using your instructions the prints are beautiful. Also thanks to Buko and Ramon for referring people to them.

There is a portion of the tutorial that doesn’t quite make sense to me – the last topic in the Panther section is about Color Sync and then you segway to the Tiger section for people like me. The Color Sync utility in Tiger no longer has preferences in it’s menu and I couldn’t quite figure out how to match the settings in your tutorial. I don’t know if it makes a difference but just asking.

I see that you were using Premium Lustre paper in your example. Is that your preferrred paper? I need to print my wedding photos and have a short time to make a purchase at the Epson store online (with a discount). I need to make a decision on what kind of paper to use since my printer did not come with a sample pack so I could try a few different kinds (I bought a refurb maybe that’s why). The paper I used for my test was Premium Glossy photo paper.

Also – what do you guys think about the Gloss Optimizer?

thanks

peace

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DR
Donald_Reese
Jan 25, 2007
Only you can decide whats appropriate for your given photos. i used to like lustre,but now like glossy. many artists prefer enhanced matte or velvet fine art because of the flat finish. weddings used to be done on a satin type finish years ago,which resembles premium lustre sort of.
B
Buko
Jan 25, 2007
I think its gary ballard.

As far as colorsync I don’t even think I cracked open the utility until I read your post.
R
Ram
Jan 25, 2007
Paul,

As Buko points out, you’re referring to Gary Ballard, not "Greg".

What are you doing with the "ColorSync Utility" and why? There are sound reasons to use it, as when comparing profiles or when using Profile First Aid, but as for "settings", ColorSync shouldn’t be playing a role in your color management. Either you misconstrued something, or Gary has added something to his web site since I last visited it.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Jan 26, 2007
Sorry Gary – oopsÂ… 🙂

It’s clearly there on this page:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>

Step 4

Perhaps it’s not necessary to mess with but I thought I would ask.

peace
R
Ram
Jan 26, 2007
Read that part again.

It’s telling you "all users ignore the RGB, CMYK, Gray Defaults — they are irrelevant to Photoshop! Set these ColorSync Defaults as recommended by Apple and the Applications that may use them.’

In other words, ignore that when using Photoshop.

ColorSync is irrelevant and we ignore it in Photoshop.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Jan 26, 2007
I can do that. DuhÂ…

Any other comments on paper?

peace
SP
steve_peters
Jan 27, 2007
The Epson premium luster or premium semi matte a very nice papers. So if your looking for a recommendation I would choose one of those.
TD
tom_dodington
Jan 28, 2007
please tell me where I can find the ballard tutorial you mention: my 1800, which works beautifully on windows PS-CS2 is terrible on PS running on new macbook pro: thanks for your help
tom
PC
Paul_Cutler
Jan 28, 2007
<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>

I used this to set up my printing workflow from an exact same setup: MacBook Pro and Epson R1800.

It worked beautifully.

peace

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections