CB
Posted By
Chris_Bailey
Feb 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, this is one of the weirdest Photoshop problems I’ve ever seen…

I’m working with a friend who’s just traded up to a new iMac Core Duo 1.83GHz (Mac OS X 10.4.8 and Photoshop CS2, both with all the latest updates) from a PowerMac G3/266 running OS 9.2.2 and Photoshop 6.0.1. He does a lot of digital photography and, of course, sometimes takes a portrait-oriented shot. He’d open these up in Photoshop 6.0.1, rotate them 90 degrees so they’d be vertical, then save the photos. If you opened them again on the same Mac, they’d remain vertical. Now copy one of these files over to the Mac running OS X 10.4.8. If you look at the thumbnail of this image using column view, it will *appear* to be vertical but has black lines to the left and right of the image that aren’t really there. If you open the image in Photoshop CS2 or even Mac OS X’s Preview program, the image comes through landscape format! As if it had never been rotated! I’ve also copied the file to a Windows XP PC and checked it there… it opens vertically, and the file properties show it to be 1500 wide by 2100 tall.

Another thing I noticed looking at the file in column view on the Mac — below the preview, it says "1500×2100" so even the OS knows the image is vertical, but it always opens it as 2100×1500. If I then rotate it using CS2 and resave the image, it’s good — column view shows it with the correct resolution, the thumbnail preview has no fake black bars next to the image and it opens up in Photoshop CS2 with the correct vertical orientation.

So… what’s up with this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Bernie
Feb 5, 2007
IIRC, this has to do with the metadata in the files.

PS 6 would not read it, but more recent versions do

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections