RL
Posted By
roger_leale
Nov 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using CS2 with Vista RC1 for several weeks now with no problem, but today after the splash screen with the credits the following message pops up:

"Could not initialize Photoshop because the file is locked. Use the ‘Properties’ command in the Windows Explorer to unlock the file."

I can access the Photoshop installation in question from within XP Home on the same machine with no problem, and it works normally. The properties for the program folder and the CS2 folder are normal.
Has anybody else had this problem with Vista?

Roger

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Nov 25, 2006
Can you find the actual Preferences file and move it to the Recycle or the Desktop? That should work (I hope).

Don’t know anything about Vista. I would not touch a new MS Operating system with a barge pole until it’s been out at least a year. They still haven’t finished XP!
D
deebs
Nov 26, 2006
There are some workarounds wherein one has to run the program under an admin login appeal from a limited user login (you are, I assume, using a limited user account? Good practice under XP and Vista is (I understand) to install from an admin account and run from a limited user account. The shame is that not all programs conform to recommended practice).
DW
Diane_Wilson
Nov 26, 2006
Vista security is definitely a new world. It’s going to take a while for most of us to get comfortable with it.

For any permission problem that persists past usage of a file or folder, try shutting down (as in power off, not a simple restart), and reboot.

Assuming that it’s the Photoshop.exe file that is misbehaving, try right-clicking on it, and checking its properties. Unlock there, if you see anything that looks like a lock. Right-click on the Photoshop.exe file, and select "run as administrator".

Check the Windows logs for relevant errors. To find them, right-click on My Computer, select Manage; in the Computer Management application, open system tools, then event viewer, then windows logs. Double-click on the log type you want to view. I’d check Application, Security, and System logs.

Running in limited mode in XP was never really workable, but it’s the default in Vista even for administrator accounts. Vista will prompt if it needs to elevate the privilege level temporarily, or you can turn off the user access control (UAC) in the user settings for the account. Unless you have a compelling need to run with UAC off, I’d leave it on, but turning it off temporarily for debugging may be useful.

All that said, RC1 is pre-release code and the security controls were still being reworked. Now that Vista has gone final, I doubt that you’d find anyone to support RC1. For that matter, I’m not convinced that the final product code is absolutely solid, and I’d expect to see critical fixes here fairly early in the release cycle. Even so, I’ve done the bridge-burning transition to Vista on two machines, and so far (one week with the release-level code) I’ve not even considered going back.
RL
roger_leale
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks for the answers folks. In the end I right-clicked on the base Adobe folder and chose run as administrator, and now all is back to normal. Not really necessary as I am the only user/administrator, but that’s it.
Apart from that little snag I am really happy with Vista even in its RC1 version, and looking forward to getting the released version.

Roger

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections