BD
Posted By
Barbara_Daum
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Adobe Elements, 2.0, on a MAC, OS 10.3. I am unable to deselect the tool, any tool. Tools just stay on the canvas. I cannot get rid of them. I have gone to the tool icon in the options bar and clicked on the reset button, but that does not make a tool go away. None of the print material that I have — lots of it — explains how to get remove tool icons from a canvas.

Second, I unable to resize an image or a canvas. Regardles of the numbers that I put in for width and height, the image prints much smaller than the settings. I am able to get an image to appear on my screen in the approximate size of what I want, 8×10, but only by setting the width and height at 13×17 (or some such. I have gone through the many steps in HELP but am unable to set an image to print 8×10.

Barbara

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 3, 2004
Barbara, you can’t deselect a tool; you can only select another tool. Try ‘parking’ on the Zoom tool when you’re not using another tool; that way, you won’t inadvertently paint on your image.

With respect to resizing, please tell us exactly what you’ve been doing. Basically, the size of the screen image has nothing to do with the size of the print image. If you go to Image>Resize>Image Size, check the Constrain proportions and uncheck the Resample box, you should be able to put 8 inches or 10 inches in either the width or the length and the other side will calculate automatically (it will only be an 7×10 if that was the ratio of the image you’re trying to print – may have to crop to get those exact dimensions. Then, if you go to File>Print preview, you should be able to complete the setup to print; you’ll probably want to center the image and make sure Scale to Fit Media is unchecked.

Please come back, though, for more detailed instructions if that doesn’t get you there.

Chuck
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 3, 2004
Beth and Mac: We certainly pounced on that one, didn’t we??

🙂
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 3, 2004
I use news reader, so if I’m right at the box when new topic comes in, I can often be first! 🙂

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections