PA
Posted By
Peter_Atonna
Apr 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I cannot find how to make the "save for the web" icon or pull down menu under File active in Photoshop Elements 2 on my I Mac. I am running system 10.3. Anybody know what to do?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 4, 2004
I’ll ask the obvious. Do you have an image open?

And, it’s not in bitmap mode is it?

Mac
PA
Peter_Atonna
Apr 4, 2004
Yes, and I am working in JPEG immages.

Peter
JF
Jodi_Frye
Apr 4, 2004
Check in toolbar under image and then ‘mode’ be sure it is set to RGB.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 4, 2004
Can’t imagine…
Try deleting prefs as per the FAQ is only thing I can think to try.

Mac
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Apr 4, 2004
Peter, did you delete the preferences folder or just turn on and off various preferences? You need to do the former…..it doesn’t get replaced with a reinstall.

Chuck
PA
Peter_Atonna
Apr 4, 2004
Jodi and Mac,

Thanks for the tips, but still no go. The photos are already in RGB and I experiemented with turning on and off the various preferences.

I even did the ultimate frustration solver, and reinstalled the software. Still no change, the Save to the Web is not active.

Peter
PA
Peter_Atonna
Apr 4, 2004
Chuck,

No, I just turned on and off the various Preferences settings. Where is the Preferences folder located? I have searched the Photoshop Elements folder on the hard drive and cannot find a folder for preferences. Or am I getting fuzzy in my frustration?

If I can find and delete the folder, will it eliminate the functionality of the program?

Peter
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Deleting the Elements Preference folder is something that most of us have had to do at one time or another, because there are mysterious little corruptions that can creep in occasionally. But there’s a keyboard shortcut:

With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a QUICK grab for the (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down simultaneously until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will rebuild as Elements continues to launch. Some of the settings you might have made in Elements will have to be redone, but it’s likely it will also clear up your problem.

I’m a Mac user and can’t remember the path to that folder, but maybe Chuck will post it.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 4, 2004
Peter,

Chuck may be able to give you the actual location in Mac language (I only speak PC) but you can delete and rebuild it on the fly following Beth Haney’s instructions:

"With Elements closed, click on the start up icon and then make a quick grab for (Win) Control, Alt, and Shift keys (Mac) Command, Option, and Shift. Hold all three down simultaneously until you get a screen asking if you want to delete Settings. Say Yes. A new folder will build as Elements continues to launch."

Deleting won’t eliminate any functionality but it will set everything back to default. Any change you have made to preferences will have to be redone. Deleting preferences corrects all kind of unexplained happenings in both PE1 and 2.

Bob

Edit:

Beth,

There you go showing off your typing speed again. I still have to look these things up before I answer.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
I have that one tatooed on the inside of my eyelids! 🙂 And I just checked the wording between what you’d copied and what I wrote. I’m in a rut, huh? I better work on a new way to describe that!

It’s the Windows path we need by the way, Bob, so if you could post that it would be helpful!
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 5, 2004
Beth,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Had a brief power fail and the old 98SE machine didn’t want to come back. Glad I have everything off of it.

This is for PE1:

The path varies by OS.

In Windows XP Home SP1 on my PC the path is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\Application Data\Adobe\
Photoshop\Elements\Adobe Photoshop Elements Prefs

(where "Bob" is the user name that did the install)

In Windows 98SE the path is:

C:\Windows\Application Data\Adobe\
Photoshop\Elements\Adobe Photoshop Elements Prefs

Perhaps the simplest way to find it in Windows regardless of the OS would be to do a Search (XP) or Find (98) (I’m not sure about ME, 2000 or any of the Pro’s) for Adobe Photoshop Elements Prefs. It will find that and a file of the same name with an extension of psp. Delete the folder and that will get the file, too. Now if the name’s the same in PE2 we should have it nailed.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections