MF
Posted By
Melinda_Frye
Apr 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to save a logo (created in in Illustrator, exported into Photoshop CS3) as a GIF file, primarily so that it can be placed on backgrounds of various colors. When I place the saved GIF file into Powerpoint though the text and icon look pixelated and there is a white pixelated outline around all the letters and the icon… what am I missing? I am doing "Save for Web & Devices" from the "File" dropdown and using the recommended settings….

thanks in advance for any help!
melinda

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SF
Scott Falkner
Apr 8, 2008
The logo was rendered antialiased against a white background OR you used white as the Matte colour when you used Save For Web. (You did use Save for Web, right?)

If you must use GIF, then either choose none for your matte colour or choose a colour close to the ambient colour in your background in Powerpoint. If you only need to use WaterBoarding, I mean PowerPoint, then use PNG 24 with transparency instead.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 8, 2008
Melinda,

By any chance does Powerpoint accept Illustrator or .eps files? If so, then leave the logo as a vector file. You’ll have crisp edges without "halos".

Neil
P
Phosphor
Apr 8, 2008
Neil,

If I recall correctly, PowerPoint does not accept eps or other vector files. PNG is definitely the way to go.
KV
Ken_Vogel
Apr 8, 2008
PowerPoint can accept EPS, if the optional add-in is installed, but the rendering is pretty bad. Likewise, PNG may need an optional add-in, especially in older versions of PowerPoint.

If crispiness is expected, save the vector logo from Illustrator as a vector WMF, which PowerPoint renders and scales well. There is no need for Photoshop here.
SF
Scott Falkner
Apr 8, 2008
save the vector logo from Illustrator as a vector WMF, which PowerPoint renders and scales well…

but Illustrator exports extremely badly. PNG is the best option.
B
Buko
Apr 8, 2008
PNG 24 is the only way to go. and you don’t need a plugin if you are using an OSX native version.
KV
Ken_Vogel
Apr 8, 2008
You need to know how to export WMF from Illustrator or else it will look bad. The key is to think BIG.

< http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?query=distiller&s tory=20040525092359958>
MF
Melinda_Frye
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated. Couple quick questions.

I did change matte to "none," (had thought that blank box meant none and hadn’t actually selected "none," my woops) and that worked great to get rid of the white pixels around the logo and words. The logo is still "grainy" though when placed into Powerpoint, is that just to be expected given it’s a GIF?

The PNG 24 solution worked great for the text, very nice and smooth, but part of the logo is a vector globe and when placed into Powerpoint there is an odd shaped white box around some of the globe and some of the text, but not the rest of the logo…. any idea on why that would happen? And it also appears that you cannot resize a PNG 24 file in Powerpoint without serious pixelating….
SF
Scott Falkner
Apr 8, 2008
PNG 24 is a raster format. Resize any raster format and you get pixelation. The solution is to scale in Illustrator. Either scale then Save for Web or enter a new size in the S4W export. Can you post an image of the white box you’re getting? Maybe show us the actual exported PNG as well as a screen shot of the image placed in PowerPoint. PowerPoint is bloody awful, but I’ve never had a problem displaying PNG images in it.
KV
Ken_Vogel
Apr 8, 2008
The solution is to scale in Illustrator.

That is the same solution to export a good vector WMF file.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections