DK
Posted By
Doug_Katz
Aug 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Although I know it’s amateurish to scan from within PS, I do it anyway. Just to be perverse. So you’ll forgive me that.

On my G5, the SilverFast plug-in has worked flawlessly in CS2 on Panther.

Months ago, I loaded Tiger on another G5 partition and added the CS3 Suite to that same partition. I’ve not been back to Panther or CS2 since but haven’t scanned until today. The SilverFast plug-in opens (from the Import menu), it prescans as it should, and it goes through a complete scan (as evidenced by the live progress thumbnail). But then it, and Photoshop, Quit. And they Quit without notice. Nor is any log or report left about the crash on my hard drive.

Is this a matter of updating my SilverFast drivers for Tiger? Or for CS3? Or is it something about disabling or enabling the Twain plug-in which I read about here from time to time.

Any help appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Aug 20, 2008
Sounds like a memory issue, Doug. RAM? Available hard drive space? Memory allowance in Photoshop preferences?

If you still have a PowerPC, a driver that works in Panther should work in Tiger.

What do the highway robbers at SilverFast say?
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
I would go to their website and see if there are any CS3 compatible plugins.
PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 20, 2008
Doug,

Why is it that you don’t want to use the standalone application? I wouldn’t call it perverse, but more like obstinate. You’ll save yourself a host of general scanning problems by leaving the scanning to SF and the imaging to Ps, and never have to worry about this again. Also, in every instance where I’ve compared the plugin to the standalone, the plugin has been stripped of features, although I have only used SF standalone and not the plugin.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 20, 2008
Dual 2.5 GHz PPC G5
4 GB DDR SDRAM
1TB Hard Drive; 50 GB dedicated scratch partition

Went to the website. There are CS3 compatible plug-ins that I’ll download. But as an alternative…

Peter, I’m not sure there’s a difference between perverse and obstinate. In fact, they’re classified as synonyms in most reputable reference books. But even were there a shade of difference between the two, I assure you I meant perverse in the base and unflattering sense of obstinate.

But now you’ve accused me of obstinacy. Which, of course is very different than accusing myself. You’ve brought me to my senses in a way that I couldn’t on my own. So I’ll take your advice and try the standalone. I suppose the only downside is that I will be succumbing to the common wisdom here, always a hazard for unbiddable characters.
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008
1TB Hard Drive; 50 GB dedicated scratch partition

The scratch should be on a second hard drive
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 20, 2008
It is. A second 300 GB drive.

So there, Mr. Never-Scan-From-Within-Photoshop!
B
Buko
Aug 20, 2008

B)
JP
jean_p
Aug 20, 2008
Doug, for what it’s worth, I prefer to scan from Photoshop as well, for the same reasons as you. 😉

But alas, I have had to switch to stand-alone scanning recently, due to the fact that my scanner does not have an Intel compatible plugin. And of course, the greater fealty to perversity in this particular circumstance is maintained by not purchasing new software or hardware.

So there is a balance to be maintained.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 20, 2008
crikey, what version of silverfast and what scanner
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 20, 2008
Jean P, I knew I had a kindred spirit in you.

You know how sometimes you can read between the lines of a post – and even moreso across many months of posts – and divine a distinct likemindedness? A shared sense of counter-authority, of antiestablishment, a lively impulse to resist… sometimes just because?

Long Live Perversity. In Perversity there is Eternal Youthfulness.

I’m BUYING the plug-ins, Buko! I’m scanning from WITHIN Photoshop, Peter! It doesn’t MATTER what version and what scanner, g ballard!

It’s Jean P and me! You gotta a problem wit dat?!
JP
jean_p
Aug 20, 2008
we oughta make a Tee shirt or sumpin’

Right now, though, I’m going for a run with my scissors…
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 20, 2008
We are a strange group here, we are.

🙂

Neil
GB
g_ballard
Aug 20, 2008
It doesn’t MATTER what version and what scanner

Okay, now I am curious, WHY doesn’t it matter what version of Silverfast and what scanner you are using?
JP
jean_p
Aug 20, 2008
I think it was just to keep the perversion alive… or should that be perversity?
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 20, 2008
I think perversity, my friend. Perversion is a wholly different… er… version.

GB, just kidding about it all.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections